Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would be a legitimate reason for the granting of a 5 shot shotgun ?

What would be a legitimate reason for the granting of a 5 shot shotgun ?

Pigeon / squirrel control ?

Vermin control = good reason.

Apart from the fact that they should not be restricted, is there any real need for more than 3 shots ? I shoot pigeons quite a lot and I genuinely cant say I NEED a 5 shot, might save the need for a quick reload but I get through a lot more second shots with my auto.

Slightly off the point, but consider where you intend to shoot a FAC shotgun. I recently was discussing some land I wanted to be cleared for C/F and mentioned I was currently using shotgun on it ...Wrong statement! "Not your FAC shotgun, as the land needs approving first" Came the FLO answer! Hmm, that caught me out, considering a usual semi auto would be fine I couldn't see any difference but was wrong. Food for thought.

Vermin control is the one, my FLO prefers that vermin to be avian. I was granted one on my first FAC for that purpose.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
    Slightly off the point, but consider where you intend to shoot a FAC shotgun. I recently was discussing some land I wanted to be cleared for C/F and mentioned I was currently using shotgun on it ...Wrong statement! "Not your FAC shotgun, as the land needs approving first" Came the FLO answer! Hmm, that caught me out, considering a usual semi auto would be fine I couldn't see any difference but was wrong. Food for thought.
    Approved for a shotgun? Really? What does your certificate say about the use of the smooth bore shotgun? I have an Open certificate so can't confirm or deny but I had no idea that land ever needed to be cleared for a shotgun.
    Baguio

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Approved for a shotgun? Really? What does your certificate say about the use of the smooth bore shotgun? I have an Open certificate so can't confirm or deny but I had no idea that land ever needed to be cleared for a shotgun.
    Baguio
    From what I've read the land is linked to the good reason, ie "shooting vermin over XYZ land" for the initial grant. If you had a closed cert, like a rifle I expect you'd need to get it added or checked? Open cert then I'd expect you'd be ok to then shoot elsewhere but personally I'd check first.

A perfect example of the crazy mixed up legislation we labour with.

If you have an FAC shotgun and it's moderated, do you therefore need the moderator on your certificate?