What would be a legitimate reason for the granting of a 5 shot shotgun ?

Apart from the fact that they should not be restricted, is there any real need for more than 3 shots ? I shoot pigeons quite a lot and I genuinely cant say I NEED a 5 shot, might save the need for a quick reload but I get through a lot more second shots with my auto.

Slightly off the point, but consider where you intend to shoot a FAC shotgun. I recently was discussing some land I wanted to be cleared for C/F and mentioned I was currently using shotgun on it ...Wrong statement! "Not your FAC shotgun, as the land needs approving first" Came the FLO answer! Hmm, that caught me out, considering a usual semi auto would be fine I couldn't see any difference but was wrong. Food for thought.

Slightly off the point, but consider where you intend to shoot a FAC shotgun. I recently was discussing some land I wanted to be cleared for C/F and mentioned I was currently using shotgun on it ...Wrong statement! "Not your FAC shotgun, as the land needs approving first" Came the FLO answer! Hmm, that caught me out, considering a usual semi auto would be fine I couldn't see any difference but was wrong. Food for thought.
Approved for a shotgun? Really? What does your certificate say about the use of the smooth bore shotgun? I have an Open certificate so can't confirm or deny but I had no idea that land ever needed to be cleared for a shotgun.
Baguio

Approved for a shotgun? Really? What does your certificate say about the use of the smooth bore shotgun? I have an Open certificate so can't confirm or deny but I had no idea that land ever needed to be cleared for a shotgun.
Baguio

From what I've read the land is linked to the good reason, ie "shooting vermin over XYZ land" for the initial grant. If you had a closed cert, like a rifle I expect you'd need to get it added or checked? Open cert then I'd expect you'd be ok to then shoot elsewhere but personally I'd check first.

A perfect example of the crazy mixed up legislation we labour with.

If you have an FAC shotgun and it's moderated, do you therefore need the moderator on your certificate?

Totally agree, because I have owned one myself. And If you do buy one, buy a second hand F.A.C shotgun as they are a hard sell, when you want to off load them. Buy a new one and you could loss hundreds of pounds.

You're FEO and licensing authority need a reality check, along with the relevant training. Such ill informed, incorrect statements and advice are unprofessional. One would hope that they would undertake a modicum of relevant research before jumping in with both feet.

Firearms Law Guidance - March 2015

d) (Section 1) Smooth-bore guns

10.44 In the case of an application in respect of a smooth-bore gun to which section 1 of the1968 Act applies, it will not be necessary for specific areas of land over which the applicanthas permission to shoot to be examined where section 2 shotgun cartridges are used.See Appendix 3 for relevant conditions for shooting of vermin, practical target shootingdisciplines or other forms of target shooting.

You're FEO and licensing authority need a reality check, along with the relevant training. Such ill informed, incorrect statements and advice are unprofessional. One would hope that they would undertake a modicum of relevant research before jumping in with both feet.

10.44 In the case of an application in respect of a smooth-bore gun to which section 1 of the1968 Act applies, it will not be necessary for specific areas of land over which the applicanthas permission to shoot to be examined where section 2 shotgun cartridges are used.See Appendix 3 for relevant conditions for shooting of vermin, practical target shootingdisciplines or other forms of target shooting.
As I suspected, you don't need the land cleared! I have lost count of the number of times that I have been told that something much be true because their FEO told them! There really are some clueless FEO's out there!
Baguio

Apart from the fact that they should not be restricted, is there any real need for more than 3 shots ? I shoot pigeons quite a lot and I genuinely cant say I NEED a 5 shot, might save the need for a quick reload but I get through a lot more second shots with my auto.

I agree.
My FAC shotgun was purchased for rabbit control, from a vehicle, on areas of the farm where it is unwise to use a r/f (Structures). It may also be used for pigeon, but, to be honest my o/u is much faster.

It wasn't the FEO but the woman in the office (who is actually very helpful in fairness). I queried it straight away, as i said I only used usual cartridges, but she was adamant! Unfortunately she'll be the one who gets egg on her face, because she has asked a neigbouring force to clear the land!!! Lol.. Oh well such is life!

It's a crazy licensing system! I had a friend who had a 10 shot Benelli 12 bore on his FAC and didn't actually hold a SGC. He wanted to borrow a 'over and under' from me for a clay shoot but couldn't!:cuckoo:
Firearm ownership is usually about justification. If you can justify having one, then there should be no reason why you can't have one.
MS

The reason i ask is because i have a shotgun. So how would i justify a multishot , wont the police just say use the one you have ?

The reason i ask is because i have a shotgun. So how would i justify a multishot , wont the police just say use the one you have ?
So.......Why do you want a multi shot? What is justification to yourself for needing one? Chances are it will be justification to an FEO as well.
MS

When asked this question, my FEO said that I'd require a letter from a landowner saying that they had a serious vermin problem and that I was required to shoot large numbers of them....

Pigeon, corvid, rabbit and squirrel would all be good justification however I would think that at least one of the first two would be required as the primary quarry?

Back