Thread: How much is to much

How much is to much

Hi guys just having a small problem I've just about collected enough brass for my 223 so I've just ran a couple through my full length resizing die last week when I went to seat a head I noticed it was say a little on the strong side so I did a bit of measuring and I'm getting 4 to 6 thou of neck tension. This is double the two thou I get in the the 243 and 264 I have cleaned out the die and put in a new mandrill still getting 3 to 4 thou of neck tension so I guess the question are is this to much? How can I change it or is it another die I need?

You do have the expander/decapper in place. right? What kind of dies?~Muir

Bet you when you pull a bullet your tension is 1-2!
    the bullet resizes the neck when you seat

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    You do have the expander/decapper in place. right? What kind of dies?~Muir
    its a lee die Muir I have the pin set as directed flush with the bottem only the decapping pin extending past the die

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Bet you when you pull a bullet your tension is 1-2!
    the bullet resizes the neck when you seat
    yes mate that's the problem bewsher when I first seat them one or two have been so tight I looked to be scoring the copper

Ive just had the same problem, so i replaced the expander/capper and now the cases are the correct size,

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner223 View Post
    Ive just had the same problem, so i replaced the expander/capper and now the cases are the correct size,
    I've done that replaced decapping pin / expander mate still getting the same problem

As a universal rule I find that too much is usually just enough. Works for most aspects of life!

What brass are you using?

I use/used Winchester, Sako, Federal, Nosler, Lapua, RP and a have a few PPU (which I have not used yet).
    The neck wall thickness varies across these by up to four thou, and within the federal alone it varies by +/- three thou.
    I found that by neck turning the thicker cases (Sako and Federal) the tension became very consistent.

Just a thought

I use a neck expander die for a lot of my reloading, especially for non boat tail bullets, and I always finish with a light factor crimp.