Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wearing varifocal glasses while stalking

Wearing varifocal glasses while stalking

I had an eye test last week and I now need glasses for driving/distance and reading, albeit only a slight prescription. It's just enough to be annoying and due to astigmatism in one eye I can't wear contacts as they are uncomfortable.

I'm trying to weigh up whether varifocals would be better or to get two pairs, but this would mean more expense as I also want some prescription sunglasses or for them to be tinted.

Any experience of wearing varifocal glasses while stalking? I can't imagine it'll be easy looking through bins with those lenses,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I had an eye test last week and I now need glasses for driving/distance and reading, albeit only a slight prescription. It's just enough to be annoying and due to astigmatism in one eye I can't wear contacts as they are uncomfortable.

I'm trying to weigh up whether varifocals would be better or to get two pairs, but this would mean more expense as I also want some prescription sunglasses or for them to be tinted.

Any experience of wearing varifocal glasses while stalking? I can't imagine it'll be easy looking through bins with those lenses,

Cheers

Stratts
    I've worn specs since I started school. I've had varifocals for about 10 years. I cycled to Boots to collect my first pair of varifocals and then cycled home. I'd love not to wear specs, but these varifocals work fine.

Regards

JCS

I wear them 90% of the time. When I remember I change for stalking. Sighting etc is no problem. Notable stalks taken wearing them inc my gold. However it is a ground problem. Looking down is distorted due to looking through the reading section so trip hazards are the more common problem. They can get a bit of getting used to.

Stratts Varifoc als great for everyday but crap for rifle shooting and shotgun. Noticed it first on clays - if you swing the gun looking through varifocals you get a kind of shuttering effect. You might get a deal where standard lens on a second pair are at a good offer price.
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

I've been wondering about this recently. The diagrams they have at tesco explaining the different grades of varifocals are difficult to explain - rather like a wasp wasted woman with upper section distance and lower section near. I was surprised how much of the lens is of no use which I think would not work for us because we want peripheral vision. My big problem with prescription glasses for shooting is that because I'm used to my astigmatism, when it is corrected the cross-hairs look wonky so I worry about cant.

I also wonder if anti-glare coatings will improve light transmission or not.

I have done all right having glasses made on-line, but only done it once so far.

Let us know how you get on.

GH

Astigmatism and varifocals. I tick those boxes. The only time I'm really I'm really aware of the varifocals is when shooting at paper - then either the target or the crosshairs are mildly blurred which no amount of adjustment of scope or head will cure. Through some wonderful freak of nature it disappears when presented with fur!
    The key board on the laptop is no problem to view but the screen itself requires a certain amount of head movement.

Ion

Thanks guys I might try a pair of those cheapy reading glasses 1st as I will only use them at home when reading in bed and if they are ok I'll stick to standard distance ones for stalking. I have noticed lately that at last light I struggle to focus so I think the glasses will help but I'm not looking forward to stalking in them tbh!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Ive worn varifocals for 20ish years nearest thing to normal vision but they do take a ittle getting used to if going from bifocals the trick is to look through centre of lens if you only have a light prescription they should be easy to get used to good luck Dave

stratts is this an early attempt to blame glasses for another bad score ?

Stratts,

You "choose" the balance between upper and lower on the varifocal.
    You use your neck to move between focus, not your eyeball.

Use a proper Optician for your test and explain all your "peculiar" needs. He will then advise on how to get the best prescription. You then shop around with "your" prescription.

Learn that then it's simples....

I've found no problem on both Shotgun and Rifle.
    Once you start wearing spectacles you will need to reconsider your cheek weld and eye relief on the scope.
    May or may not need tweaking.

Stan