Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red rut 2015

Red rut 2015

Took couple of days off for the rut. Seen several nice stags, but shot an older cull stag, that I still considered as a nice trophy. I did not take any of the bigger master stags as I was not sure their age.
    It was filmed in Poland and here probably should come some explanation as why I took this stag and not the other.
    In this country all stalkers have to follow selective shooting and every trophy is scored after the season. The stags (fallow bucks, roebucks too..) have to be shot according to permit given and follow certain criteria, otherwise there are some consequences, such as ban for another two years...
    For example, a medal head stag has to be over 11yo. 8..11yo should be below 5.5kg net weight, etc. Criteria are quite complex and aging deer is never easy...
    I took a stag I knew was over 8yo and unlikely to be above 5.5kg, but in this area most of the stags are medal class and most I saw I think were quite young.
    Please comment if you think and other stag was good to take and why.
    Rifle Blaser R8 in .308 and SST 165gr reloads. 141kg larder weight.
    Hope you enjoy it, thanks for watching.

Superb Greg...

How did you get it back?

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

An excellent piece, thanks for sharing.

im afraid I don't know too much about you, other than from your posts, but am I right in thinking you've moved to Poland fairly recently?

How have you managed to get onto such fantastic opportunities in such a short time? Is this public/private/syndicated land? Certainly looks like a superb red population. Very well done.

novice

Lovely video as always, you have a but of a talent sir. Also intrigued on recovery..... No video of huffing and puffing...?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Absolute cracking video Greg cant wait for the smell of a rutting stag myself

Well done again..........scott

Lovely video. One of the best I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Superb Greg...

How did you get it back?

Tim.243
    No way I could do anything on my own, called for help and it took four of us some effort to get it to the motor, but not that far to the road thankfully

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    An excellent piece, thanks for sharing.

im afraid I don't know too much about you, other than from your posts, but am I right in thinking you've moved to Poland fairly recently?

How have you managed to get onto such fantastic opportunities in such a short time? Is this public/private/syndicated land? Certainly looks like a superb red population. Very well done.

novice
    I am originally from Poland and the land I stalk is near my parents or my in laws. Stalking is organised in Poland around hunting clubs leasing land from the state (hunting rights and wild animals are state owned and not tied to land/landowner) and I joined one of the clubs. There are some nice red deer there yes :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Absolute cracking video Greg cant wait for the smell of a rutting stag myself

Well done again..........scott
    Should have bottled some for you Scott, could smell it on my hands couple of days later :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    Lovely video. One of the best I have seen.
    Glad you like it, thanks for watching