Thread: 6.5x55 howa

6.5x55 howa

Hi guys im looking into getting a howa in 6.5x55 but i seen alot of bad reviews on accuracy they all say due to having a long rought im not sure if it the older howa or is it all of them they say the group very bad with bullets under 140 grn , im just wondering if any of you guys now anything about them before i go a head and by 1
    I now people will say get a t3 but I'd rather have a howa due to being very happy with my howa 243 due to accuracy and price , re ability etc
    Cheers guys

Hi nicky great choice of calibre, I had a howa 1500 semi custom built by brock and norris and it was superb would shoot .5 @100 meters with any ammo I homeload for 2 mates with howas and both shoot really well , I was using 120 grain nosler bt through mine to great affect , my advice would be to ring brock and norris mike will sort you out there a good rifle for the money , Regards jim

Why do you want to use bullets under 140 grain?

Quote Originally Posted by nicky-hoskins View Post
    Hi guys im looking into getting a howa in 6.5x55 but i seen alot of bad reviews on accuracy they all say due to having a long rought im not sure if it the older howa or is it all of them they say the group very bad with bullets under 140 grn , im just wondering if any of you guys now anything about them before i go a head and by 1
    I now people will say get a t3 but I'd rather have a howa due to being very happy with my howa 243 due to accuracy and price , re ability etc
    Cheers guys
    What's this??~Muir

Really bad typo for throat?

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshot View Post
    Why do you want to use bullets under 140 grain?
    Why not . I use 120s home loads 139 ppu and 156 ppu. No problems at all . Just setting up another 6.5x55 a lightwight woodland stalking rifle . No problems with the throat one is a tikka 695 and the other one is a RWS titan 6 just picked the barrel up last week mike norris cut it down to 20" threaded it and 11 degree target crown . So I am running two 6.5x55
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Quote Originally Posted by pendle View Post
    Why not . I use 120s home loads 139 ppu and 156 ppu. No problems at all . Just setting up another 6.5x55 a lightwight woodland stalking rifle . No problems with the throat one is a tikka 695 and the other one is a RWS titan 6 just picked the barrel up last week mike norris cut it down to 20" threaded it and 11 degree target crown . So I am running two 6.5x55
    because I know nick, he shoots long range so needs the better bc

Howa are good accurate rifles. I have had 2
    My .223 was pin point
    Only changed as I wanted to be deer legal and got a .243 just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshot View Post
    because I know nick, he shoots long range so needs the better bc
    I shoot on clearfells out to 300 yds useing 120grn pro hunters on roe. Woodland fallow I use the ppu's as the home load 120's are to fast causing hydrastatic shock on short range fallow max 50 yds
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Quote Originally Posted by pendle View Post
    I shoot on clearfells out to 300 yds useing 120grn pro hunters on roe. Woodland fallow I use the ppu's as the home load 120's are to fast causing hydrastatic shock on short range fallow max 50 yds
    300 yards isn't long range, we shoot out to 1400m, hense the need for a better bc bullet. 120 gr are pissing in the wind at that range