Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smile and dial!

Smile and dial!

Had an opportunity today to play with the ballistic app on my phone, a laser range finder and a 300wm with an accurate 208gr load on a piece of ground that disappeared into the distance!

Have never really been able to dial for distances as I was struggling to get matching figures for the data I had for the load
    managed to get a good average MV
    BC is known
    rifle is very accurate (pic is 5 shots at 130yds)

Drop was always a bit more than the app indicated only proven at one distance past 100 yds by 0.5 MOA at 200 yds
    have not managed to test it out past that until today

relatively new to the world of dialling and ranging.
    having adjusted a 200yd setting and shot a stag this afternoon I found a perfect spot with lots of targets with the slight breeze right behind me

first one was a burn bank, solid mud with a good 6ft of water in front to show any error.
    spot on the bank was a perfect aiming point
    ranged at 358yds
    app said 5 MOA
    first shot landed low by a smidge and just hit the water

adjusted to 5.5 and smacked it!!
    very happy.

i managed to tweak the zero range slightly and the three known drops at 100, 200 and 350 all lined up.
    time to test the app.

rock face with a white spot on it , ranged at 480yds
    app said 9.5 moa
    dialled
    even with the recoil at that range you have plenty of time to get a steady sight picture and see the impact
    dust and debris bang on target indicated a clean hit!
    impact noise arrived a second or so later!

We're to need more space to play tomorrow!
    very exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Picture is missing!

Could be referring to the pic in avatar?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Welcome to the world of dialling in. With the right setup it is incredible how well it works. I have most joy out of shooting in the field at different distances seeing if one can achieve a first round hit.
    One place (posted pic before) I used to shoot with rocks to choose at all distances from 200m. Arrow is at 960yds, a nice flat rock with a white mark which might be the limit of my little 20" 308. Reading the wind is also a bit difficult at times.

edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Welcome to the world of dialling in. With the right setup it is incredible how well it works. I have most joy out of shooting in the field at different distances seeing if one can achieve a first round hit.
    One place (posted pic before) I used to shoot with rocks to choose at all distances from 200m. Arrow is at 960yds, a nice flat rock with a white mark which might be the limit of my little 20" 308. Reading the wind is also a bit difficult at times.

edi
    Are you sure that is not a Sika way down there??

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

We'll see if you can hit this reply - open it on your smartphone, place it at 1,000yds, dial in and then see what happens))

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Are you sure that is not a Sika way down there??

K
    , pity we have no deer in our closer area (very efficient farming). but... shortly after this pic the Dutch tall ship "Astrid" went up on the rocks close to the 960yd spot and between rescue/salvage I never went back since.
    edi

Great feeling, that first round shot, and well done on taking the dialling in step! These phone apps have made the likelihood of first round hits at moderate distances much easier, no doubt. I've been into my long range shooting (not on live quarry) for a long time, and have learned a good deal from people like Brian Litz but I am still wedded to using ballistic tables I've created for my own bullets and rifles. To fully understand what's involved takes a fair amount of study, but it's well worthwhile as things like internal ballistics, especially things ammunition temperature, can have a significant effect even at 400 yds when you're talking precision shooting.

As ejg says, reading the wind is one of the most difficult things to judge as its an indeterminate factor in long range shooting, so can only ever be a best guess, at best. I have a 6 inch steel gong which I use at ranges up to 400 to 500 yds and use that for practice. Recommended reading includes "Applied Ballsitics for Long Range Shooting" (Brian Litz) and if reading through that doesn't initially appeal, there is a superb set of You Tube videos made by a character who calls himself "Tiborasaurus Rex" who explains in laymans terms in quite some detail over a 100 or so 30 minute tutorials just about everything you need to understand about first shot hits using applied ballistics. Here's a brief clip of him plugging a beer can at 1200 yds!

Last edited by ChesterP; 22-09-2015 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Could be referring to the pic in avatar?

I just saw that. My bad...

it's very important to input accurate data or you will get errors that magnify with range , so get an exact zero , and try and use the same measurements throughout , I'm all metric now (metres and mrad) also try and use the G7 data that litz provides because I've found that to be very accurate !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !