Thread: New gun advice

New gun advice

Im thinking of getting a new rifle in 6-5x55 or a 260,but this is where im a bit lost,i want a long(ish) range gun,to shoot at Bisley, and also rabbit, crow and pest control
    to around 600 yds,not to botherd about the price , but must not be to heavy as i still want to walk around with it.
    Thanks

If you intend to buy a brand new rifle, you may find it useful to check out delivery times, especially for a .260.

Both Sako and Tikka are special order with several months wait, unless someone has one in stock of course.

6.5x55 factory ammunition is much more readily available than .260, which is also quite expensive.

I home load for my .260 and that has been quite an experience getting it right, with a few reloading howlers along the way.

.260 is pleasant to shoot with low recoil. I would like to be able to tell tales of deer shot with mine, but I think I'm going to name the rifle 'Jonah', as each time I have taken it out, I haven't got a shot. Still hope burns eternal and it is very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner223 View Post
    Im thinking of getting a new rifle in 6-5x55 or a 260,but this is where im a bit lost,i want a long(ish) range gun,to shoot at Bisley, and also rabbit, crow and pest control
    to around 600 yds,not to botherd about the price , but must not be to heavy as i still want to walk around with it.
    Thanks
    I can't see you getting a calibre of that size for long range pest control? Have you considered a .223 which you can then use to shoot F-Class /Target Rifle? That's the only option I can think of that might cover your stated requirements.
    MS

Monkey Spanker, i have a 223 and a 6-5x55 both are matching Tikka lites,both giving very tight groups at 200yds, i just wanted something a little better
    and i do all my own loading so that wont be a problem, maybe im asking to much.

Thanks for your replys

There's a few excellent long range calibres out there at the moment including 6mm BR, 6.5 x 47 Lapua and .260 Remington, and all would be good to 1200yds, so spot on for longer range shooting at Bisley. The main issue though will be getting hold of ammunition. You'd pretty much have to load your own if you wanted a reliable supply and do your own load testing. Also, having a long range target rifle to use for small vermin seems a bit at cross purposes as a good long range competition rifle may not make for the ideal field rifle for small game and vermin, despite the accuracy.

If you wanted one calibre to do it all, where ammunition availability was not an issue, I'd suggest .308 Winchester but good luck getting that for crow on your FAC!. It may not have the higher Ballistic Coefficients of the newer 6mm and 6.5 projectiles (although with some decent spitzer boat tails at 190 to 200g you can get around the 0.57 mark), but it's still really popular as a long range target weapon and ammo prices, more importantly, availability are reasonable. Presumably you've considered .243 as well? That makes a good long range target gun and I'd have thought would be good for your vermin needs too.

Personally though for serious target work, I'd probably plump for 6.5 x 55 or 6mm BR and use a .223 for vermin control out to 500 or 600yds. Any further would be stretching things a bit for .223 but it is an ideal tool for your field needs up to those distances. Can you be more specific about what you mean by "...I just wanted something a little better"? If a majority of your shooting is within 600yds, I'd have thought you already had some ideal calibres there but if your intention is to be a serious competitor at say 1000 yds, where you want the ultimate in precision and accuracy, then I'd join the waiting list for a 6mm BR or 6.5 x 47 Lapua and load my own for that purpose. I'd stick with the .223 for vermin control. Ideal tool for the job.
    Last edited by ChesterP; 22-09-2015 at 14:00.

Ive a 6.5x47 Lapua but built it as a deer rifle so it has to short a barrel to get to 1000yrds also No Hunting factory ammo and very limited Expensive Lapua target loads

nother option is 6.5 Creedmoor bit more factory Target ammo about and as you home load no issue really
    and they will all do 1000yrds easily (and a lot lot further ) with a long enough tube whether thats to heavy is entirely down to you and what you are happy to carry

Really you need to choose is it a Day carry hunting gun or a Long range tack driver as you will get neither very well if you compromise to much I chose Deer gun so set it up to do that with an eye it would be a bit of fun on the range out to 700yrds ish as a nice bonus but not expecting to keep up after that

Also 6.5 puts you in the open F class if thats what you want to shoot agaisnt the full race guns (so 6.5-284 or 7mm cartridges would be better) where as .308" class has a few more limitations so more basic guns a can keep up