Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad practice

i carnt believe what some people post on youtube, not being in reciept of all the facts about this animal i will reserve judgement. its a poor animal thats for sure.

Skipp.

Shouldnt have looked ruined my day.Aim for the engine room forget about spoiling meat .Bad practice caused by game dealers insistance on undamaged meat,neck shots are as bad as the animal is still aware due to oxgenated blood reaching brain

Thumbs down

hi,

this deer has been here before and i do believe that the prognosis was blue tongue...or another disease rather than the shot option...

f.

not one to be revisited and i do remember the op been involved in it also

Are we really going to get into the debate about head shots again? It happens.

So does blowing off a front leg, gut shots, spine shots and so on...

I agree not nice to see, but as someone said on this forum before, if anyone has not had a bad shot then they are not shooting many deer.

How do we know that this was not just a shocking shot caused by a novice, getting the shakes and aiming at the shoulder, the bullet deflecting off cover en route to the animal, a bipod leg collapsing, a knock to the scope during the stalk and shifting zero. Who knows. Then again, perhaps it was a bad head shot

All shots can go wrong for experienced and novice stalkers alike.
    And the more you shoot the more chance there is, its just playing the odds.
    But no one can argue that 6 inch is easier to hit than 2 1/2 inch.
    Thats said it now.
    Though I have shot a good number of deer in the head myself, in the correct circumstances.
    They should only be attempted by experienced marksmen, or stick to the "boiler house" shot.

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    And the more you shoot the more chance there is, its just playing the odds.
    But no one can argue that 6 inch is easier to hit than 2 1/2 inch.
    Thats said it now.
    Though I have shot a good number of deer in the head myself, in the correct circumstances.
    They should only be attempted by experienced marksmen, or stick to the "boiler house" shot.
    Can't argue with that...

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    go on john explain them then,

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    go on john explain them then,

Frank....!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO there is NO correct circumstances where a wild deer should be taken with a head shot .The head is a moving target.The natural action is graze, head up look for predators,head down graze.Even in a Roe that's over 3ft vertical movement plus side to side. I seen it for myself. My brother inlaw is superb shot ,he can hit a 5 pence piece at 100yds first time every time. I was out with him one day he took a head shot at just 40yds .Deer twisted its head just as shot was taken .Jaw blown off.Luckily it was sufficiently concussed to hit a fence where I hit it with a heart shot .Dropped on the spot. Not nice. Most people only tell you about the ones they hit not the ones that escape injured