Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yearling Roe, male or female?

Yearling Roe, male or female?

I struggle to ID the sex of yearling Roes at this time of year. Any hints and tips would be gratefully received. A few days ago I spotted a yearling Roe cocking its leg to urinate, was my conclusion it was male correct?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Snap,

About 10 days ago I watched a pair of yearlings for about 30 mins and was convinced they were both does, eventually as the light improved and they got closer with the Zeiss on x24 I could make out tiny buttons on the head of one so assume it might be a buck. As much as I could try I could not see any other identifying features. I was using my Leicas and was resting on a round bale so it wasn't for the lack of a stable viewing platform.

Anyway I gave them both the best so I will have to watch them and see what they grow up to be. Incidentally both were in grey winter coats.

D

Tiny buttons don't necessarily mean it's a buck , I have watched a few in the past in various places, doe's can also have small bumps where antlers should be , I am glad you gave it the benefit, the right thing to do.

Yearling in winter coat. That's when animals became useful.

gamhainn a year-old calf, a stirk, Irish gamhuin, a calf, Early Irish gamuin, gamna, year-old calf; from gam, winter: "winter-old". . Confirmed by the proverb: "Oidhche Shamhna, theirear gamhna ris na laoigh" - On Hallowe'en the calves are called stirks. Norse gymbr, a year-old ewe lamb, Scottish gimmer, Greek @Ghímaros, a yearling goat . Hence gamhnach, farrow cow.
    ------------

Goat fleece jackets were winter coats, worn with a goat head on the person's head in Celtic Spain and in Sardinia today. Swiss wear a chamois hair tassel on the cap, plucked from a freshly killed deer. The chimairos /chimere winter-coat became chimere royal / bishop coat , made of camelot cloth in 14th century.
    Would deer winter-coat hair be suitable for weaving? You could approach a target very close unless there was a another hunter nearby..

Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post
    Yearling in winter coat. That's when animals became useful.

gamhainn a year-old calf, a stirk, Irish gamhuin, a calf, Early Irish gamuin, gamna, year-old calf; from gam, winter: "winter-old". . Confirmed by the proverb: "Oidhche Shamhna, theirear gamhna ris na laoigh" - On Hallowe'en the calves are called stirks. Norse gymbr, a year-old ewe lamb, Scottish gimmer, Greek @Ghímaros, a yearling goat . Hence gamhnach, farrow cow.
    ------------

Goat fleece jackets were winter coats, worn with a goat head on the person's head in Celtic Spain and in Sardinia today. Swiss wear a chamois hair tassel on the cap, plucked from a freshly killed deer. The chimairos /chimere winter-coat became chimere royal / bishop coat , made of camelot cloth in 14th century.
    Would deer winter-coat hair be suitable for weaving? You could approach a target very close unless there was a another hunter nearby..
    You on the fosters again

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    "cocking its leg" ??????????????
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    "cocking its leg" ??????????????
    Yes, like this
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

I would have thought that there should be an anal tush at the yearling does.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    I would have thought that there should be an anal tush at the yearling does.
    Once in winter coats the anal tush is a lot more visible yes. I have never seen knobs on the heads of Yearling does though! Old does yes, yearling does no!

Though not as distinct as a mature Doe a yearling can still be identified by the caudel patch heart shaped in a Doe
    and kidney shaped in a Buck.