Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x mag realistic range?

8x mag realistic range?

Hi I'm looking to get a 8x56 s&b on my stalking rifle and as the title suggests does anyone have any experience on the sort of ranges you can realistically shot to? I don't like to shot deer past 200 yards so that won't be an issue, but do use the same rifle for foxing, hence my concern on the magnification? At present I'm used to using variable mag which goes to x18, thanks in advanced for any advice

I use 8x56s on my rifles including 243 for foxing you'll be fine I shoot to 350m but have shot successfully on targets out to 550yards.

Thanks, That sounds perfect for what I need it for and the ranges I shot!

Realistic... forget anything over 250m without bdc reticle or target turrets. Just guesswork.
    The 8x56 is a great point and shoot scope, no time wasted on changing zoom or parallax. At the end of the day you might shoot more game with this setup than something more fancy.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Realistic... forget anything over 250m without bdc reticle or target turrets. Just guesswork.
    The 8x56 is a great point and shoot scope, no time wasted on changing zoom or parallax. At the end of the day you might shoot more game with this setup than something more fancy.
    edi
    what he said +1 Hugh....

Thanks My other trail of thought was the zeiss conquest with the asv for them longer shots, but like the simplicity of the fixed mag! Decisions decisions!!!

Max 75 yards stick with the variable mag

Quote Originally Posted by bradstalk View Post
    Thanks My other trail of thought was the zeiss conquest with the asv for them longer shots, but like the simplicity of the fixed mag! Decisions decisions!!!
    I've got this and the ASV is very easy to use and in my mind is the perfect set up for a stalking rifle that you also use of targets and longer shots. Work out a drop chart to fix to your rifle or scope cover and you're sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlander View Post
    Max 75 yards stick with the variable mag
    Should have gone to Specsavers!

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    edi
    Quote Originally Posted by bradstalk View Post
    I don't massively disagree with these statements, but I don't totally understand either. I often see comments from people who say that they missed an opportunity because their variable was set too high/had to twiddle with this and that. Surely, for general stalking one just sets the mag for, say, 8 with a 100 metre parallax and the ASV on 150 metre zero.

When I enter woodland, I drop the mag down to 6 or 4 and quite often when I am up in a high seat expecting a longer range shot, I move up to 10 mag. A variable can always be used as a fixed, but not the other way around.