tick bite prevention

nick.308

I just thought I would share my experience of the little critters.
I stalk some heavily infested ground in Perthshire and for the last 5 years have had over 100 ticks bite into me.

Today I read the Lymes Disease article in the shooting gazette and it got me thinking how Ive probably been lucky I haven't got lymes disease yet. Especially when I have pulled most out with my fingers and occasionally a few days later.
The article says that to help prevent contracting the disease the ticks should be removed quickly and completely. (not with fingers)

Any ways the point I was getting to was the most effective tick bite prevention I have found is by wearing base layers.
I wear some merino wool or synthetic base layers whenever stalking and it massively reduces the number of ticks I have to remove from my body. Since wearing base layers I have only had to remove them from under my watch strap!

Certainly not changing, only adding more protection once my other shooting trousers bite the bullet!

I just thought I would share my experience of the little critters.
I stalk some heavily infested ground in Perthshire and for the last 5 years have had over 100 ticks bite into me.

Today I read the Lymes Disease article in the shooting gazette and it got me thinking how Ive probably been lucky I haven't got lymes disease yet. Especially when I have pulled most out with my fingers and occasionally a few days later.
The article says that to help prevent contracting the disease the ticks should be removed quickly and completely. (not with fingers)

Any ways the point I was getting to was the most effective tick bite prevention I have found is by wearing base layers.
I wear some merino wool or synthetic base layers whenever stalking and it massively reduces the number of ticks I have to remove from my body. Since wearing base layers I have only had to remove them from under my watch strap!

How do you know you haven't got it? Have you been tested? The disease can be there without you knowing and it's not just lymes disease now. Two others are beginning to appear.Babesiosis being one and I can't remember the other, it maybe bartonellosis. Not sure though.

Last edited:
Is there a map(s) showing the distribution of the more heavily tick infested areas ?
Apart from the cover-up what is the main insect repellent you all use ? Is it DEET related?
Do you check after being out ?
It is said that the ticks, removed carefully and correctly during the first 24 hours, are unlikely to pass on Lyme disease unless the beast is squeezed and this forces the anticoagulant (spit) into the wound. How do you check your dogs, as keeping 'unfed' ticks out of the house is essential ?

I have recently been wondering about the probability of contracting Lymes when you consider the amount of people that must pick up ticks as its not just us stalkers but walkers/ramblers, armed forces on exercise etc etc. In saying that, im not leaving anything to chance and have invested in Rovince products and proper tick removers!

1) you really don't want Lymes disease - I lost two years to it.

2) spray yourself head to toe in smidge or other tick repellent before you go out. Wash your kit in repellent spray as well, or just spray smudge all over them. Keep things well tucked in and avoid crawling if at all possible.

3) shower well and use an insecticidal shampoo - and wash in all the dark and sweaty parts - that's where they like to hide.

4) get well checked over by your loved one to make sure you haven't ticks anywhere.

Just looked at the adverts for Rynoskin, and, although I have never had a problem with them, "An ounce of prevention...". My question is, I have read, to purchase most items from the USA, it cost a lot more than if it were sent by relatives from there. What is the deal on this? Is there extra customs fees involved or is it just additional postage?

Apologies for going slightly off at a tangent and I know this might sound a daft question, and may have been covered in previous threads, but can dogs contract Lymes disease ?. I appreciate there are certain tick/flea repelant products you can apply to dogs but sometimes ticks can be missed and not removed before the "24 hrs" removal time. Also , we can get tested , but do vets test dogs ?. Once again sorry if this sounds a daft question.

cheers , Scott

Just treat your clothes with Permethrin just got a new bottle today it's the same stuff on Rovince clothing it kills the little buggers when they get on your clothes it will stop in your clothes for up to 6 washes. I caught lymes disease two years ago its not nice.

Just treat your clothes with Permethrin just got a new bottle today it's the same stuff on Rovince clothing it kills the little buggers when they get on your clothes it will stop in your clothes for up to 6 washes. I caught lymes disease two years ago its not nice.

where do you get that from?

The base layers I have been using are from aldi!
I have one merino wool set which are superb. They are tightly woven so ticks don't get through them and they are warm and wick the sweat off my skin.

The other set I have are synthetic nylon base layers they looked like they were for builders work wear.
They are tight on so even if ticks get onto you they can't get underneath the base layers to bite in.

of the hundred and more ticks I have been bitten with i have scratched them off with my nails before they have properly bitten in.
I usually check myself before bedtime after stalking expeditions.

The usual areas to fine them have been around my waist, calves, forearm and armpit. but after wearing base layers they only seem to latch on around my wrists because they can't get onto any other skin.

I've also been bitten by numerous ticks and all the advice given here is worthwhile taking. There have been occasions in the past when coming home after stalking and checking all over that I haven't found anything at all but the following day, or even longer, have discovered one of the little ******** latched on to me. I finally realised that the offending beast had been on/in my clothing which I had put on, just the trousers or maybe the jacket, not to go stalking but to walk the dog or something. So you can take them home with you unaware. I now keep my stalking garments regularly washed in permethrin as advised by rg7mm - the Life Systems product and that seems to have done the trick. Don't worry that the deer will smell it because if your in that position they were going smell you anyway.

Hi you can get it off ebay the one to use is Sawyers all my gear is now ready for Scotland next weekend :)

Apologies for going slightly off at a tangent and I know this might sound a daft question, and may have been covered in previous threads, but can dogs contract Lymes disease ?. I appreciate there are certain tick/flea repelant products you can apply to dogs but sometimes ticks can be missed and not removed before the "24 hrs" removal time. Also , we can get tested , but do vets test dogs ?. Once again sorry if this sounds a daft question.

cheers , Scott

Yep, dogs can get it. A dog of mine did some time ago. The vets will know how to treat it. Seems common sense, but dogs that lie down a lot whilst out and dogs with longer coats seem to be more prone to it. Some of the areas I shoot have a fairly high tick concentration and a "slow and steady" retriever/Lab cross I had was always getting them and one time caught it. The "fast and furious" lab (shorter coat) I have now doesn't seem to pick them up half as much.

I'm not sure if there's preventative stuff for dogs, but I expect so.

Yep, dogs can get it. A dog of mine did some time ago. The vets will know how to treat it. Seems common sense, but dogs that lie down a lot whilst out and dogs with longer coats seem to be more prone to it. Some of the areas I shoot have a fairly high tick concentration and a "slow and steady" retriever/Lab cross I had was always getting them and one time caught it. The "fast and furious" lab (shorter coat) I have now doesn't seem to pick them up half as much.

I'm not sure if there's preventative stuff for dogs, but I expect so.

Frontline is a good preventative for keeping ticks off dogs and cats etc,you can get it in a spray (my dog hates getting it done) but you can also get it where you just pour it out of a little capsule on the neck and it spreads itself,not sure if this is as good as the spray though

Back