Wild cat mod for 22Hornet.

Simon2206

Hi guy's. I've just bought a WILDCAT WHISPER PUP mod for my 22Hornet. But, as soon as I fitted it, the rifle went from doing sub 1" groups at 100yds to over an 8" group!! Any ideas what's up? Is the pup suitable for centre fire rifles? Could it be a problem with to much pressure?

I couldn't find mention of that particular model in Wildcat's range. Does it have a proof mark on it? Regardless, I would suggest that the problem is as likely to be due to the bullet clipping on the way out. How confident are you that the screw cut is true? Have you got a chance to try a different (.22 centrefire) moderator from a mate?

I have an older Predator on my .223 and an Evolution on a .308 and they are excellent.

I bought it from Cheshire gun room. It has the purple anodised top and it says "Wildcat whisper .22" on it. I'm pretty confident with the thread as that was done with Brok and Norris. I have a t8 for my 222 so I will try that. Do you think that they may have sold me a rimfire mod?!

The one I use on my Hornet is Wildcat Cub2. That works perfectly on the Weihrauch. Have you checked everything is OK inside the mod? With an eight inch group it sounds as if something could be wrong with the mod. Clearly the rifle is OK

im sure the wisper you describe is for a 22 rimfire as i have the same one..

its not made for a center fire..did you tell them it was for a hornet?

Just looked on t'interweb....Wildcat whisper is for .17hmr and .22LR.....

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/complete-moderators.html

Read a bit further down.....

The Wildcat Cub 2 Full Bore sound moderator is a muzzle mounted moderator fitted with a 14x1 Metric Thread.

END OF LINE SALE - RRP £85.00

Suitable for .17 Rem, .22 Hornet
Thread: 14x1mm
Weight: 220g
Length: 170mm

PLEASE NOTE - VIA RFD OR BY APPOINTMENT ONLY AT UKCS

line2.jpg

The Wildcat Cub 2 Full Bore sound moderator is a muzzle mounted moderator fitted with a 1/2" UNF for .22 Hornet

Thread: 1/2inch UNF
Weight: 220gLength: 170mm

Read a bit further down.....

The Wildcat Cub 2 Full Bore sound moderator is a muzzle mounted moderator fitted with a 14x1 Metric Thread.

Thread: 14x1mm
Weight: 220g
Length: 170mm

line2.jpg

The Wildcat Cub 2 Full Bore sound moderator is a muzzle mounted moderator fitted with a 1/2" UNF for .22 Hornet

Thread: 1/2inch UNF
Weight: 220gLength: 170mm

...I did. OP states that he has a 'whisper' model, not the cub referenced in your post. Whisper states .17hmr or .22 rimmie; if the model IS a cub, then as you quite rightly point out, that should be fine for a .22 hornet. But he says he has a whisper.

Yep - sorry, I should have been clearer. I figured as he was asking about a 'pup' that I might be able to take some poetic license and he might actually have the 'cub'. :D That's why I asked what it was proofed for to try and narrow it down.

I guess we will have to wait for the OP. Will be interesting to see what he really has got......

It's a WILDCAT WHISPER PUP. I still have the box on which it says pup. All it says on the mod is "Wildcat whisper .22. When I bought it I asked for a centre fire mod suitable for a 22Hornet. He assured me that this was what I needed. So, I bought it!

Just been on the Wildcat site. It's definitely the rimfire whisper that they have sold me!! Correct me if I'm wrong. Is it not dangerous to to use a rimfire mod on a centre fire rifle??

If the wildcat pup allows you to group around 5 inch it's definitely a PUP lol

stick a ASE CQB on it :)

Back