Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Scotland

Police Scotland

Does anyone have an update on what is going on at Police Scotland Firearme Licencing. Apparently there is now no allocated Firearms officer. I had an unannounced visit on Sunday night from two Beat constables that did not have a clue what they were on about. This was for my Shotgun renewal. ???

I'm going back to just after dunblane tragedy , unannounced visit to my fathers I was there for a coffee two bobbies a wpc & pc
    Wpc anti gun and made it known , very sharp and unpolite.
    My father kicked her out citing that she was there in her proffesional capacity & her personal views were not warranted or wanted .
    They both did not have a clue or idea what looking at or where serial numbers etc could be .

I've no problem with beat bobbies but at least put them on a mornings awareness course to show difference between shotguns & rifles and where serial numbers could be etc

Hope we aren't going backwards on this again and a poorer service

The Wpc had been sent on a one day course to train her. She then went through the full form again that i had already submitted months ago with new photos and cheque etc. Bit of a joke really and didnt know i also held firearms or what BS meant in regards to gun cabinet
    forgot to add the police car parked right outside my neighbours drawing attention of the neighbourhood nosey Parkers and the banging of my door after I just got my two young kids settled to sleep.
    not a good process at all
    Last edited by Widespreaddanger; 23-09-2015 at 23:47.

Just had my FAC and SGC renewed by Fettes (Edinburgh) - total of 6 weeks between my paperwork going in and new tickets coming back. Which was good consdering a lot of negative stuff I'd heard about turn around times.

Apparently our area will be down to a couple of FEO's (as was) and most visits being done by uniformed cops. In my case it was a local community cop who was friendly and fair. He had previous shooting experience which helped, but it's a new role for them and some will be better than others (just like FEO's.........).

In the 30+ years I've had FAC/SGC I've been visited by all sorts of police officers/police staff and any 'issues' seemed to be down to individuals not the role they occupied.

I don't care who visits me as long as they are professional and fair. I do worry Police Scotland might not have given some the greatest training and some might be biased against the ownership of guns.

I had Fettes on the phone to clarify some details after my home visit and again they were helpful and fair. So, as it stands, I've no issues at all.

hh
    Last edited by Haggis Hunter; 23-09-2015 at 16:20. Reason: extra words....!!

My understanding is the dedicated FAO's are down to just 8, with dozens of beat bobbies being "trained" up.

It would help if they called to arrange appointment and if they had some clue of what they were doing. I got a bit of 3rd degree about permissions and had they been checked and basically everything that should be done on the initial application and check years before. I don't agree that this should be carried out on a renewal. Waste of everyone's time and resources.
    Last edited by Widespreaddanger; 23-09-2015 at 16:33.

Quote Originally Posted by slider View Post
    My understanding is the dedicated FAO's are down to just 8, with dozens of beat bobbies being "trained" up.
    Yep, that's what I was told. On the plus side if you and 'your' FEO had a poor relationship then you will probably just see a succession of new faces from now on.

hh

As another point, it is far from ideal for uniformed officers to be making the home visits, drawing unnecessary attention to the visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis Hunter View Post
    Yep, that's what I was told. On the plus side if you and 'your' FEO had a poor relationship then you will probably just see a succession of new faces from now on.

hh
    Unfortunately I had a great relationship with the , now redundant, FAO - local lad, who knew the people and the land on "his" patch.

I've just put a variation in so we'll see what happens , one of Aberdeen's feo's fell off a ladder and died recently so that's one less , renewal in Feb next year too -- ho hum.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933