Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swazi / Harkila / Sitka

Swazi / Harkila / Sitka

Anyone have a preference over these jackets? I am looking at the Harkila Pro Hunter X, or the Swazi Wapiti.

I would also think about the Swazi Tahr but am unsure about the old Tahr with the bino pocket, or the Tahr XP with the hand warmers... Ideally I'd want both on the same smock!

Harkila are way over priced and you get no support when you have issues. I don't have any experience of the others. Regards JCS

I have a tahr with bino pocket and a harkila pro hunter. Had the pro hunter jacket for 8 years and its still as waterproof as the day I got it, and it looks smart. The swazi tahr for a couple of years and I would class it as a jacket for individual pursuits as it is a smock! But if I had the wapiti that may change that. The swazi's are layering systems, the harkilas are all you need. Both will serve you well.That is oossibly no help at all, and if i started again I don't know which way I would turn, actually I do, I would again buy both.As for trousers, I have still not found anything durable enough to withstand thorns and still be waterproof! If you find something let me know!

I have Sitka clothing, very happy with the layering system, expensive though, might be better to buy it if you/or a friend get over to the US.
    I have heard good things about Swazi but have no experience of the product.
    There is another make but i'm sure someone else will be along shortly promoting it.
    Harkila......i have a pair of trousers i will be selling soon.
    Cheers
    Richard

I think there's always room for a few jackets on the back of the door...

I've a Nomad, Swazi, and Harkila. I don't have any experience of the Sitka but I hear good things.

So my two peneth the Harkila Pro Hunter is a heavier jacket so more for a low physical activity, high seat / standing on a peg of a driven shoot. The Swazi / Nomad are lighter and work well as a part of a layering system for harder foot stalking / hill stalking / beating etc.

As I say just my take on it.
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    I have Sitka and rate it highly. Vipa on here rates Kuiu highly [apparently, Kuiu's previously woeful delays in meeting orders has now been improved]

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I have Sitka clothing, very happy with the layering system, expensive though, might be better to buy it if you/or a friend get over to the US.
    I have heard good things about Swazi but have no experience of the product.
    There is another make but i'm sure someone else will be along shortly promoting it.
    Harkila......i have a pair of trousers i will be selling soon.
    Cheers
    Richard

Forget the Scandinavian style heavy weight hunting jackets... whilst they are great.... for Scandinavian style hunting (low exertion, slow moving, sitting around, fending off knife attacks from the resident elk and maurauding bears.... they weren't really designed for anything other than Scandinavian style hunting... You need to be able to control your temperature and stay dry... staying LIGHT & DRY is the key to staying warm..... and cool..... with a geet big, heavy lump of reinforced cordura on you will neither keep cool or warm... or dry for that matter!

Remember, The pro hunter line is basically a 21st century version of a good old Barbour waxed jacket..... only heavier!!! much... much heavier... The Barbour will probably breath better too!!!

Do yourself a favour and look towards a good quality, lightweight, highly breathable layering system... may cost a little more overall and initially but you can always build it up gradually... start with Merino at the bottom, plan your syatem carefully and you won't look back!!!

Some great suggestions on here and don't forget... even Harkila do lightweight(ish) layering gear... Personally I would look no further than KUIU but it all comes down to personal preference!
    Last edited by Vipa; 24-09-2015 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by KBar1970 View Post
    I have Sitka and rate it highly. Vipa on here rates Kuiu highly [apparently, Kuiu's previously woeful delays in meeting orders has now been improved]

My last two orders were here in under 10 days, most of which was the time taken to get through UK Customs!!

Just had a look on the Kuiu website and they had this photo on there... looks like there all about to keel over from exposure!

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Bloody cold in Alaska ... the fact there is an ice axe in the photo should give it away although... well spotted WH... not the best bit of marketing I've ever seen! lol