View Poll Results: Do you believe the TV news and papers?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 1.69%
  • No

55 93.22%
  • Don't blame me - I'm a victim of my environment

3 5.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Believe The Hype....

Don't Believe The Hype....

Just out of curiosity, and from reading a few of the recent threads on humanity in general, I thought I'd ask the question:

Do you believe what they say on the BBC / ITV / Sky or write in The Daily Mail etc etc?

I don't mean to be rude but I've been literally flabbergasted by some
    of the statements and views on here....

Do remember though, nothing is ever set in stone - you can change your mind - you can choose to not fear the unknown - choose to instead find out for yourself.

Life is is really too short for all this hate - especially if it's not even your own hate...
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Just out of curiosity, and from reading a few of the recent threads on humanity in general, I thought I'd ask the question:

Do you believe what they say on the BBC / ITV / Sky or write in The Daily Mail etc etc?

I don't mean to be rude but I've been literally flabbergasted by some
    of the statements and views on here....

Do remember though, nothing is ever set in stone - you can change your mind - you can choose to not fear the unknown - choose to instead find out for yourself.

Life is is really too short for all this hate - especially if it's not even your own hate...
    The options for answers beg a black or white viewpoint of a subject that is anything but black and white so I can't answer within the framework given...

For the most part I think the media TRIES to give an honest picture of the world and what is going on.. some publications are more believable than others whilst some rely on sensationalist journalism to sell papers/gain viewers which, in turn skews the subject matter and therefore the end users understanding.

There is good and bad journalism...

I think the key is to read/watch the news with an air of scepticism and don't just believe blindly and/or without context what is being said.. there are many news vendors and the best way to get a truly unambiguous, objective view is to watch them all and make up your own mind.... If I see something that interests me where I'm sceptical about what I'm being fed, I look for the views of CNN, Reuters, Al Jazeera and Stratfor.. between the 4 of them you will get an unbiased, untainted, unsensationalist view
    Last edited by Vipa; 24-09-2015 at 10:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    The options for answers beg a black or white viewpoint of a subject that is anything but black and white so I can't answer within the framework given...
    +1 The stuff that is censored out is the problem, especially news from within the EU, and the views of ordinary people who live there.

Remember, bad things make news, because still in this day and age, they still are relatively rare. That can often give the impression that the world is a bad place. Sort of works with people that have guns too. The only time they are in the news is when bad things happen. Therefore it's not surprising that people think as they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Remember, bad things make news, because still in this day and age, they still are relatively rare. That can often give the impression that the world is a bad place. Sort of works with people that have guns too. The only time they are in the news is when bad things happen. Therefore it's not surprising that people think as they do.
    +1

Don't forget also that with the introduction of better technology to more places we will now get to find out about things that might not have made the news before. Doesn't mean it wasn't like this before, just that the information didn't get as far.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    I agree with your sentiment entirely.
    on the other hand I've got a bad feeling about this thread, doesn't seem to take too long these days before the usual suspects turn up and start spouting............

"Do you believe what they say on the BBC / ITV / Sky or write in The Daily Mail etc. etc?"

Would you add "SPORTING RIFLE" by to your list please.

Thanks!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Strong Left wing bias by the BBC as to others, well, they aren't too far right of the Beeeb.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Having been a insignificant part of a story that made it to the front page I know for a fact they are lieing bast**ds who wouldn't think twice about ruining someones life if they thaught it would sell one more newspaper

They are not there to give us news they are there to make a profit selling newspapers

In later years I have been part of other stories where the inaccuracies were massive but fortunatly no harm done.

I was part of a group of divers who ran the French blockade a few years ago to get home and aparently I am from Yorkshire???? WHich is odd as not a single person on the boat came from north of Watford

Thats me with the hand growing out of my shoulder and I come from Kent

Cherbourg siege: 'We escaped as a hail of beer bottles hit the boat' | Daily Mail Online

ATB

Mark
    Last edited by Chasey; 24-09-2015 at 15:05.

It's worth pointing out that the media get it wrong for a whole hosts of reasons - not just deliberately revving up a story to sell copies or make headlines. Just because you get a byline in a national publication doesn't mean you're bright, intelligent, educated, knowledgeable or anything else... you might be sleeping with the owner/editor or you might be related to them?

The OPs original question has an element of bias as well. Why confine the question to media reporting? You may as well ask if you believe car manufacturers emission figures.... I suspect we could come up with an extremely lengthy list of occasions when officials have lied or misrepresented the facts. With stupid, incompetent, ill-informed and/or malicious people in positions of power and influence it's a tad unfair to single out the media for a poll.