Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deerstalking Fair, Kelso, 9th & 10th April, 2016

Deerstalking Fair, Kelso, 9th & 10th April, 2016

The 4th event to be held in Scotland will take place over the above weekend at the Border Union Agricultural Showground, Kelso in the Scottish Borders. We have moved it to this date for 2016 to avoid a clash with the Easter holidays.

As each event has been organised, we have tried to make changes in accordance with requests, suggestions and indeed criticism(constructive) we have received so there will be one or two changes.

The fair will see many of the traders returning who have supported us since the first event, as well as several new ones with new products and brands also appearing.

We are continuing to offer the 'best practice' seminars that cover many aspects of stalking related activities, and hopefully that will again include experts from the fields of working dogs for deer, rifles, reloading and skinning/cookery/butchery. Some of those seminars and demonstrations resulted in a lot of very positive feedback. If however some other aspect of deerstalking would like to be seen offered in the form of a demo or lecture, please let us know and we will explore that. We are also looking at running some of the demos continually throughout the day instead of set times, allowing smaller crowds to gather round a stall whenever its convenient for them and to speak with the experts and see whats going on. We hope to do this with the cookery, butchery and also ammunition reloading.

One concern that has been raised several times, is the suitability of these lectures taking place in the rear hall, as the acoustics and noise pollution from other sources prevents easy listening. Therefore, we are considering moving all the catering and refreshments into the rear hall, and turning over the previously used space for the canteen area to an enclosed, seated lecture theatre. This may also give us the opportunity to include other game foods and preparation equipment into the rear hall and 'push' whats available through Scotland's natural larder. Something for the ladies too in that case....

We are aware of the requests for more rifles to be displayed at the fair and I know Allan Rhone has already announced his attendance with the new range of Shultz and Larsen rifles, plus his current extensive range of rifles and accesories. We have also been approached by other distributors and traders who carry rifles and talks are continuing in the hope we get them onboard to meet this request.

The fair will continue with the ethos of only having products that we feel are of interest to our intended audience. As we have said before, we will not 'pad it out' with window cleaning equipment, wicker furniture or candy floss as there are enough fairs on the calendar that offer a more suitable event should those items and similar be on the shopping list.

We would like to thank everyone in the deerstalking world for their support in attending this event and look forward to seeing you all again next April.

Entry prices are remaining the same as the previous events, £10 for an adult, children under 16 free and parking is also free.
    Last edited by jamross65; 25-09-2015 at 08:44.

Sounds great Brian,

Are all your stalls sold out? feel free to email me details of the smaller stalls if still some available as I could potentially be convinced to bring some custom rifles along,,of course to be told by the majority they're too expensive and not made of plastic! ha ha ha..

Great to see the show still going strong!
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Funny that; I've heard that custom rifles aren't made of plastic and are too expensive. If there's somewhere I can turn up and point that out in person, count me in!

Are there any plans to have a stalking fair at Newark or somewhere else further south at any point ?

Yes there are Nick, and we are looking currently at some venue options. The hardest thing is fitting it in with an already busy fair calendar and avoiding clashes with things like pheasant and partridge shooting, which we felt had a big impact on the fair at Newark last year. It may not be possible for 2016 at this stage, but 2017 is definitely on the cards. The traders who support us are very keen to see us bring the fair south again.

Great news, I found myself wondering about this the other day. I might bite the bullet and commit to a trip up there if it's looking unlikely there'll be anything closer to home next year.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

On a more serious note Kelso is worth the trip up - makes for a great weekend in the borders and fairly easy to get to from the Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by oager View Post
    On a more serious note Kelso is worth the trip up - ...
    kelso, no..the stalking fair, yes ;-) LOL
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Great stuff Brian, looking forward to it as usual,know its difficult to arrange dates that suit everyone but these work for me Doe's are finished and still a bit early for the Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by oager View Post
    On a more serious note Kelso is worth the trip up - makes for a great weekend in the borders and fairly easy to get to from the Midlands.
    I'm thinking maybe a few days camping holiday (Kielder or somewhere) with the Mrs and the dogs, and I'll have a day at the fair. If I thought the wife would fall for it I might even try and get a cheeky roebuck stalk in too, but I think there's a limit to what she'll accept!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog