Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The day of the roaring

The day of the roaring

In Gaelic tradition the 26th of September was known as the day of the roaring ,the day that the Red deer rut starts and though it can't be predicted that exactly observation over a good many years has proved it to be fairly accurate , though it can be influenced to a degree by the weather for example a few nights of frost can set it off.

Heard the first stag roar in the forest at dawn this morning the 24th only to receive a half hearted answer from the open hill went silent as full daylight came in and no more roaring to be heard during the day, not started in earnest yet but in a day or two the glen will echo with the continues
    roaring of amorous stags.

Regular Poster
    I do hope so, I am off to Scotland on Tuesday,fingers crossed for next week

Up there for a few weeks soon. This will be my 30th year without fail Sika whistling and Reds roaring in an old Caledonian forest is a privelage to see and hear.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I am off to Scotland next Saturday. 25 years of roaring stags on the scottish hills.By far the best time of the year.
    Cheers Hubert

Thought I might hear something last night it was that still, and we had a touch of frost which tends to set things going, but nothing yet...

Not any attempt at one-up-manship on BT - I've already got the looks, six pack stomach ( its in there somewhere ) etc

Two stags started up on the clearfell opposite the house here about 9PM on Sunday. Obligingly answered my slightly asthmatic efforts. Never, ever gets boring. Still raises a tingle on the neck hairs - and not through anticipation of the stalks to come - just 'because'.
    Stalking and Courses http://www.stalkingschool.co.uk
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Ha!! Spoke too soon...just heard one 5 minutes ago....best sound there is....

No roaring here yet, but we did have a shower of sleet this afternoon .
    Last edited by 10.9; 24-09-2015 at 22:56.

Monday Tuesday in mull were warm
    wednesday had a distinct chill in the air

roaring started then

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Not any attempt at one-up-manship on BT - I've already got the looks, six pack stomach ( its in there somewhere ) etc

Two stags started up on the clearfell opposite the house here about 9PM on Sunday. Obligingly answered my slightly asthmatic efforts. Never, ever gets boring. Still raises a tingle on the neck hairs - and not through anticipation of the stalks to come - just 'because'.
    Couldn't agree with that sentiment more. Magical time.