The day of the roaring

bogtrotter

In Gaelic tradition the 26th of September was known as the day of the roaring ,the day that the Red deer rut starts and though it can't be predicted that exactly observation over a good many years has proved it to be fairly accurate , though it can be influenced to a degree by the weather for example a few nights of frost can set it off.

Heard the first stag roar in the forest at dawn this morning the 24th only to receive a half hearted answer from the open hill went silent as full daylight came in and no more roaring to be heard during the day, not started in earnest yet but in a day or two the glen will echo with the continues
roaring of amorous stags.

Up there for a few weeks soon. This will be my 30th year without fail :D Sika whistling and Reds roaring in an old Caledonian forest is a privelage to see and hear.

I am off to Scotland next Saturday. 25 years of roaring stags on the scottish hills.By far the best time of the year.
Cheers Hubert

Not any attempt at one-up-manship on BT - I've already got the looks, six pack stomach ( its in there somewhere ) etc :fib: :D

Two stags started up on the clearfell opposite the house here about 9PM on Sunday. Obligingly answered my slightly asthmatic efforts. Never, ever gets boring. Still raises a tingle on the neck hairs - and not through anticipation of the stalks to come - just 'because'.

Not any attempt at one-up-manship on BT - I've already got the looks, six pack stomach ( its in there somewhere ) etc :fib: :D

Two stags started up on the clearfell opposite the house here about 9PM on Sunday. Obligingly answered my slightly asthmatic efforts. Never, ever gets boring. Still raises a tingle on the neck hairs - and not through anticipation of the stalks to come - just 'because'.

Couldn't agree with that sentiment more. Magical time.

You can't beat the feeling when you call them out be it red or sika for a client or even better for your self look forward to this every year

Out in new Galloway, end of last week.
Didn't hear a thing spoke to one of the rangers he told me big groups of stags still higher up.
Must be any day now surely ;)

Spoke to a man further north today. Sika been whistling for a week but not really moving. Group of 50 or so stags at the back of the house still all together. They better get their act together for the first week in October!!!!

Came back from Argyll earlier this week. I was really looking forward to my first time hearing and hopefully seeing some stags roaring. Unfortunately nothing about. Lets hope it's in full swing in a couple weeks when I'm back. This will be my first year "on the stags" so really looking forward to the experience. With luck I'll manage to beat your 30 years Malc. (I'm a fair bit younger than you!)

Been roaring here in Norfolk for almost a week now, sat in a high seat for a fox last night and had them all around me roaring and grunting, magical time. deerwarden

Bugger all in the bit of Aberdeenshire I just came back from, but it was cold this morning and apparently that could set them off. If that happens, I will have set off the rut for both red and roe by visiting two different places this year. In which case I will begin to offer my services as a rut-starter next year. Have rifle, will travel.

Back