Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optics

Optics

Hi
    I have just purchased a Anshutz 1517 Walnut thumbhole stock 18" .17HMR rifle and was wondering what scope would suit this gun. I have a budget of around £500 for the scope and was thinking of a Leupold 3-9-50 Duplex.
    What would you guys recommend for that budget.

Roy

How far do you intend to shoot? Do you need to headshoot? Are you looking at dawn and dusk? Will you shoot under a lamp or with night vision?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

50 mm is just dead weight unless you have a very specific need and makes the outfit comparatively clumsy.
    40mm is a nice size and some would say 32 is even better

Hi
    main shooting will be evening and night, lamping. Distances will vary from 75 yards to 125 yards normally.

still would not go more than 40mm,been there and got the t shirt.
    Years ago had a 4x20 on a 222 and could see everything needed out to 200 yds

get a fixed 4 power, zeiss 4x32 or S&B 4x36
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Jsut to be different I like scopes with a good zoom range

I have a 6-24 x 56 Hawke sidewinder on my 1517 Makes it easier to pick a rabbit out of long grass at 150yrds and zooms low enough for low light and for my Attatched NVD to give a reasonable field of view for night shooting

Just bought one of the latest Falcon M18 Menace scopes to go on a 308 and it out performs my Leup V3 (4.5-14 x 50) when it gets darker by a surprising margin! A heavy scope but optically excellent and build quality is also excellent. Don't know how they do it for the money to be honest. Nick at Falcon is a great guy to deal with as well. All I'd suggest for lamping is that you might be better off with a fixed mag scope like an 8x56. It makes target acquisition especially when shooting at dusk a lot easier than fiddling with zoom and parallax controls. I use an 8x56 on my HMR and it's an ideal tool for the job.

The Hawke Sidewinder is a very good scope but I think the Airmax is a bit better. Either would be ideal for the Anschutz

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterP View Post
    Just bought one of the latest Falcon M18 Menace scopes to go on a 308 and it out performs my Leup V3 (4.5-14 x 50) when it gets darker by a surprising margin! A heavy scope but optically excellent and build quality is also excellent. Don't know how they do it for the money to be honest. Nick at Falcon is a great guy to deal with as well. All I'd suggest for lamping is that you might be better off with a fixed mag scope like an 8x56. It makes target acquisition especially when shooting at dusk a lot easier than fiddling with zoom and parallax controls. I use an 8x56 on my HMR and it's an ideal tool for the job.

jsut set your Zoom scope to 8 mag and PA to a sensible range most Fixed are 100yrds ish then leave it it will be a fixed scope all night No fiddling required

then in the daylight you can zoom in if you like ... or not

I always have my scopes dialled back when out hedge hopping so i can quickly aquire and shoot or if time allows for longer shots Range Dial and zoom in
    It all depends on what you like and what your used to really I couldnt use a 4x fixed mag cope any more Ive been using a 10-50 etc for 20yrs ish and only stepped back to the 6-24 as the FOV was to small for NVD use

Big targets at relative to size short range like deer can use lower power optics where last light use is most important
    Rabbit with an ear tip showing at 180yrds in long grass with a 1" head shot to hit not so easy with 4 x and a fat European crosshair