Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY painting a moderator

DIY painting a moderator

I'm thinking of buying an ASE SL5 moderator but as I'm sure you will know they only come in a silver colour. Has anyone painted their mods before? I realise there may be problems with paint adhesion but what can go wrong? Probably invalidates the warranty though?

Cheers

Jonny

Yes but a long time ago and before the gun paint came out over here, I used fire black paint as it held up to the heat B&Q still do it think its a 10 ,rub over with a pot cleaner de-grease and spray paint in light coatings to build it up between letting it dry old school , now I just give it to James ( Jagar SA) , now I use cam tape if they are not coated and it keeps the wet out and dulls the ping sounds that you get from a uncovered or socked mod.

I agree with paul o', cammo tape is the stuff.
    Good hunting.

You can paint moderator Ok:degrease,scuff/sand ,etch prime(Halfords | U-POL Acid #8 Etch Primer or similar) then top coat.Wrapping with black insulating tape is effective,quick & much cheaper.

I used a green acrylic spray on a rimfire mod. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green10-22.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	61505
    What's the worst that could happen?

All my mods are done in sniper spray O/D Green, degrease with meths then give it a few coats. Gives a nice dull finish no flash back off mod when using NV and IR.

They come in black as well

I used heat resistant bbq spray paint on my ar15 barrel shroud - worked a treat
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
    I'm thinking of buying an ASE SL5 moderator but as I'm sure you will know they only come in a silver colour. Has anyone painted their mods before? I realise there may be problems with paint adhesion but what can go wrong? Probably invalidates the warranty though?

Cheers

Jonny
    Hi Jonny I have the ASE mod on my sauer 202 in 308 I used blackboard paint on it 6 years ago worked well. It has been out in all weathers and it still look nearly as good as the day I painted it. Paul

Get some Creakote. Very hard wearing and designed for use on firearms.