Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pest control on public land

Pest control on public land

Hi all,
    I don't really want to say too much on the open forum, could anyone with experience of pest control on publicly owned Park/recreational ground drop me a message please? I've been informally offered an opportunity and I'm keen to know what the practicalities are before I go any further.
    Many thanks
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

good luck! sounds a great op

I should probably have said for clarification that this relates to non-professional/unpaid rabbit and fox control.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    good luck! sounds a great op
    Yes, if I can pull this out of the bag smoothly with a minimum of red tape I'll be quite happy. Whether I can remains to be seen!
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Hi all,
    I don't really want to say too much on the open forum, could anyone with experience of pest control on publicly owned Park/recreational ground drop me a message please? I've been informally offered an opportunity and I'm keen to know what the practicalities are before I go any further.
    Many thanks
    Simon I ve done several such jobs and in my experiavce they always involve a degree of red tape
    first thing I'd do is scout the land have a look for safe back stops public right of way etc then knock up a simple risk assessment showing the safe shots etc including details of your shooting insurance eg NGO basc etc
    then id have a contact to tell when you will be on such a piece of ground
    also make sure it's cleared for cal if your ticket is closed
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Regular Poster
    Get it in writing (and make sure you're insured)

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    Get it in writing (and make sure you're insured)
    Also make sure the person you deal with actually has authority to give permission and notify the police before each visit

Speak to 6 pointer he does loads of urban deer work and sure he'll put you right
    Regards
    J
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Thanks all who have responded here and by PM. I have a lot to look at now before I try and turn the informal request from a groundsman into a formal grant of permission from the whole committee. Hopefully I have enough to go at.
    Blog

Can't give you anything remotely helpful by way of a steer in how to get the permission/instruction watertight, but once you do my gut feeling is you'll need to give no less thought to operations. In this I urge you to approach it as if you were an old school poacher and not just be content with "leaving no trace" but come and go as might a ghost on a mist-shrouded November morning.

What the Public don't see they are unlikely to ponder let alone be exercised by.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.