Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Forum between BASC members and the executive

Open Forum between BASC members and the executive

Your comments please on the suggestion of a series of open forums or Q&A sessions at the major game fairs where members and the executive of BASC could discuss issues of concern.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Yet another good idea, anything that speeds up the dissemination of information, along with an interactive website (instead of the shop window jobby we have now)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    Your comments please on the suggestion of a series of open forums or Q&A sessions at the major game fairs where members and the executive of BASC could discuss issues of concern.

I think its a brilliant suggestion but doubt it happening , they would be to ***** scared of others seeing points of view open to a free for all

I must say I thought there would be more of a response to this, however what I would say is that as far as the web site is concerned on the Key Issues’ section of the web site, we list all the current main issues that we are dealing with, what the issue is, BASC’s position , and so on.

At the bottom of the page for each issue there is the detail of the members of BASC staff who is dealing with that issue and a link to e-mail them – so please do!

Any other thoughts or ideas very welcome!

David

Account Suspended
    Yeah but others cant see what other peoples beefs are can they, and neither can they afford support or otherwise as to if they agree with the issue or not as to what someones complaint may be can they? so a complaint can be dismissed to easily without the membership having a say, at the moment its a closed shop. If none of the others will say, I will tell it as it is.

If it was more open to the membership being able to voice openly then at least it would and could be seen that they are acting on what the membership wants directly , and all this unrest on other forums would not exist, but it all depends on how much the leadership wants to be involved with its membership dosent it. on the face of it ,its not what they want or appears to most of us, I could be wrong but very much doubt it

It would be easily controlled and accessed as well as to gain access to participate you would need to log in with your membership number so only members who have paid their subscription could participate in any debate.
    J.M.H.O

Thanks Stu
    Life Member B.A.S.C
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 30-04-2010 at 16:50.

Thanks Stu,

We do have a formal complaints system, and if a comaplaint is made it is certainly not fobbed off.

I like the idea of a 'log in' and this system is already in place so members chan check and change their records, so I guess it could easily be used for a 'forum'

I must stress agian that it is the members of BASC and not the management of BASC (and that will include me as one of the Senior Executive of BASC) who make the policy decisions, so the management cannot avoid being directly involved with the members - nor would we want to avoid it.

There are two issues here as i see it, the OP was about members having access to BASC senior staff at shows and events - done deal as far as I am concerend. The other point was about more interactivity on the web, and like i say I think this is a good idea that needs to be developed - I am on the case.

David

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    Thanks Stu,

We do have a formal complaints system, and if a comaplaint is made it is certainly not fobbed off.

I like the idea of a 'log in' and this system is already in place so members chan check and change their records, so I guess it could easily be used for a 'forum'

I must stress agian that it is the members of BASC and not the management of BASC (and that will include me as one of the Senior Executive of BASC) who make the policy decisions, so the management cannot avoid being directly involved with the members - nor would we want to avoid it.

There are two issues here as i see it, the OP was about members having access to BASC senior staff at shows and events - done deal as far as I am concerend. The other point was about more interactivity on the web, and like i say I think this is a good idea that needs to be developed - I am on the case.

David
    Thanks for that David I am grateful for your efforts, as I am sure you are a man of your word , and many of the lads on here I suspect will appreciate it as well , I am more than sure it will benefit all concerned.
    Thanks
    Stu

Good on you for looking into this David, I think it is a great idea and has great potential for making members feel more involved with BASC.

Let's be honest, most people only contact BASC if they have a problem and apart from that their only other contact is paying their membership fees. I know about the mag and the website but suspect that many members don't visit the website and many don't read the mag. So, for the majority their only contact with BASC is handing over money. We don't see how hard everyone works, or how busy you are, or what you are up to behind the scenes. All we know is that we hand over money every year and that it is worth doing because it gets us insurance. I don't think this perception does BASC any favours.

I would argue that by having a forum you will attract a lot of members to post on the site and to engage with BASC directly and, perhaps, even on a daily basis. In the long term, no matter what disagreements there may be on the forum or how much of a pasting BASC management may take on occasions, this will result in a membership that knows what BASC stands for and what it is doing on their behalf. It will also result in a membership that feels it has "ownership" of the organisation rather than the situation at the moment where BASC are viewed as a lot of toffs in suits being paid to have their pictures taken at dinners and charity balls while the membership are entirely disconnected except for their yearly payment.

So, I think a BASC members forum is a great idea not just from my perspective but also from the perspective of the organisation. Get the membership involved, make us feel like BASC is our organisation and that the leadership is listening to our opinions and we get more members who renew year after year and who also actively work for the aims of the organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I would argue that by having a forum you will attract a lot of members to post on the site and to engage with BASC directly
    An online forum? Brilliant idea - Something I suggested as part of my email correspondence with the Chairman on 1st April 2010 when I criticised the lack of any real listening by staff & Council, to the membership. Sadly I haven't had a reply. Perhaps no one was listening ..........

As for open forum Q&As at game fairs etc - another great idea and suggested by a member. I just wonder how no one on the paid staff thought that one up?

Finally, sounds like the voices in the wilderness might be hitting the volume switch, as an aside to the main thrust of an interactive B.A.S.C. site David, has it been considered that non-members viewing such a forum might, just might decide to join us?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!