harkila

boar & deer

I know most of the guy on here test there kit to the limit is harkila stuff any going the comment on FB do nothing but slag it off i was gona get the gamekeeper boot but went for miendl dovre after reading the comment is a case of bad news travels faster ?

I had to read that a few times, but I think I get the gist.

I have Harkila Pro Hunter jacket which I really like. It is heavy though - so I wear it when I am not expecting to be hiking for miles and/or at very low temperatures. It's great for nights working off the back of the truck foxing and standing in the towers over in Sweden. There is no doubt about its robustness, insulation properties and the level to which it stays waterproof even in heavy rain.

I have some Harkila Inuit boots which are amazing (again in low temps and snow), but I can't imagine them being any use at all in the UK. The Harkila Pro-hunter boot comes in for a lot of stick. I have steered clear of them for that reason.

In short, I really rate the clothing for its intended use, but don't feel inclined to try the footwear marketed for this country.

Last edited:
There's quite a few opinions on here about Harkila stuff. I must say that in my limited experience I tend to agree with it. It goes something like this:

1. Their coats are good. Waterproof, as breathable as anything can be and tough. Better able to withstand a coat/barbed wire interface than most.

2. Their trousers are much as the coats are, but there are reports that the Pro Hunter X trousers can let in the rain.

3. Most reports on their footwear aren't that complementary, so like rabbiter I haven't tried them.

4. It ain't cheap stuff, you can get reasonable clobber cheaper but quality in general is up there.

There's quite a few opinions on here about Harkila stuff. I must say that in my limited experience I tend to agree with it. It goes something like this:

1. Their coats are good. Waterproof, as breathable as anything can be and tough. Better able to withstand a coat/barbed wire interface than most.

2. Their trousers are much as the coats are, but there are reports that the Pro Hunter X trousers can let in the rain.

3. Most reports on their footwear aren't that complementary, so like rabbiter I haven't tried them.

4. It ain't cheap stuff, you can get reasonable clobber cheaper but quality in general is up there.

+1

i've found the jacket great, but the trouser let the wet and the boots fell apart...

As a retailer and family firm, we can stock any brands we like. We chose Harkila as one of our brands to sell due to the quality of build and also it has always been designed with a task, function in mind, Deer Stalking, Active Hunting, Boar Hunting etc.
In 100% absolute honesty, we very rarely get any Harkila Products Back. As a percentage of what we sell, it is less than 1% and the same also goes for Jack Pyke too. The main reason for this is that we in the store work with the customers to find out exactly what they are doing and then match up a selection of options. As our customers also contribute here, will acknowledge, if something is not up to the job or over engineered we tell it as it is.

Harkila Boots: We again hardly ever get any back. The reason for this is we also believe it is because all our store customers get a tin of Mink Oil Free or Suede Protector etc free at the start and we show them how to apply it and when to apply it. Gore-Tex have to approve a model before it ever goes into production if a Gore-Tex membrane is used, so this also has a massive stamp of approval for the boot too.

Boots that do come back fall into two categories: Faulty manufacture and no aftercare. We are an agent for Harkila, so we will look after customers of Harkila who did not buy from us too.
Faulty boots back this year to date:
1: 1 x Pro Hunter Armortex: Bought by a very good Customer and leaked on the first day out. Gore-Tex nipped when being stitched.
2: 1 x Pro Hunter 10": No leak cause found, but exchanged anyway.
3: 1 x Forester size zip Wellingtons: Stitching split open on zip
4: 1 x Forester Non zip: Split along toe

And that was it!!!

Returned with No aftercare: A few pairs: The biggest problem is the leather must be fed when they are wet dry wet dry all season. Too often we see boots, not only Harkila, but others where they have never seen boot polish or oil since they were new. We recommend starting to use protectors from day 1, especially in the wetter climates. The oils and polishes also protect the seams, which of course are a weaker spot in any boot.

Just a quick note on the Harkila Pro Hunter X trousers, they have a vent zip on the upper thigh. Keep these closed in driving rain. We have had in the last two years, two pairs back with Knee leaks, but again from the amount sold, less that a %.

Any questions, please call the store on 01525 211488 (00441525 211488, non UK customers) we are open 7 days. Ask for Andrew or Brendan.
We also price match too so if you want the advise but want a great price too, please let us know as we aim to be competitive but sometimes we don't always spot the deals offered elsewhere. We deliver free in the UK and also give free returns to our UK customers for telesales and also on our website.

Running the store takes quite a bit of our time to be honest, so just let us know, we of course do mail order as well for the UK and also internationally.
All the best and have a great season ahead
Andrew
Rugged & Tough's Work & Country Clothing Store
our New Blog: all about products aftercare etc: Rugged s Blog

Last edited:
Rugged and Tough are very good too - I had a pair of Harkila trousers where after 13 months the crotch split. Returned, repaired and now sorted.

Meindle Dovres are the best stalking boot on the market in my humble opinion... had mine 5 years now and they have been nothing but brilliant! Harkila footwear doesn't have a very sound reputation.

As for their clothing... built like a tank... question is... would you want to wear a tank to go stalking!? Too heavy, too bulky, impossible to layer with and therefore control temperature unless sedentary and as the face and lining fabrics are so thick and dense, the membrane cannot do its job so.. waterproof, yes, definitely... IN BOTH DIRECTIONS!

I am a %!!. Sent a pair of pro hunter x trousers back after three or so outings (not in rain). First outing in rain, knees leaking badly. Was initially told it was excess sweat: but my ankles and cheeky bits were dry, so I must have very sweaty knees!.
Replaced under warranty with no explanation and, as yet, untested.

I am a %!!. Sent a pair of pro hunter x trousers back after three or so outings (not in rain). First outing in rain, knees leaking badly. Was initially told it was excess sweat: but my ankles and cheeky bits were dry, so I must have very sweaty knees!.

in fairness it could have been either,,, leaks or sweat (condensation) they are too heavy to breath properly so you will get loads of condensation..

Goretex is seen as the wonder material but it's performance is dictated by the fabrics it is laminated with. At some point the functionality of the ePTFE membrane will be so compromised by the weight and impermeable nature of the face and lining fabrics that it is completely pointless and will even make things worse with condensation forming on the inside and therefore getting you wet from the inside.... been there, many times... makes for a miserable cold (even dangerous) experience!

The best way to stay dry and warm is to leave the waterproof layer off unless it is actually raining or you are sitting/kneeling on wet ground, unless of course you have a shell that is so breathable that it can still function efficiently even when subjected to a heavy internal vapour load (they do exist.. just do some research! but remember, if it is too humid and the air is saturated, moisture cant evaporate and even the best gear won't breath.)

I sat out in theworst storm when hunting black bear in Canada in my Prohunter jacket and trouser for 6 hours and just had a little dampness around the fly zip on the trousers. The dampness could have been me of course:old:. I rate Härkila gear highly, never had the boots though so can't comment on them. I would not use the prohunter gear if i was stalking in the UK again. As Vipa said, better layering clothing out there.

I live in the area where Swedteam, Härkila, blåkläder and Tranemo workwear are based. All make good quality stuff you just need the right cloths for the right job.

Faulty boots back this year to date:
3: 1 x Forester size zip Wellingtons: Stitching split open on zip
4: 1 x Forester Non zip: Split along toe

And that was it!!!

Interestingly my zipped Foresters split at the back of the heel - you could see where the constant flexing in use had worn the rubber through. They were in the final month of being a year old, and to be fair to Harkila they refunded the cost with no quibble once I'd emailed a photo through. They offered replacements but I preferred to go back to another pair of the neoprene-lined zipped Toggi's that I'd found so good in the past.

All the other Harkila kit I've bought (two jackets, one pair of trousers and a cap) I've been very happy with, and I certainly don't treat my clothing with kid gloves :oops:

What we found with the two pairs we got back was the internal crease on the articulation around the knee. The taping just missed the seam at the very point where the seam changed direction, hence the leak. We check all stock coming in, and have found none since. We are also checking all new arrivals too just on the off chance, but so far nothing.
Andrew
Rugged & Tough

I sat out in theworst storm when hunting black bear in Canada in my Prohunter jacket and trouser for 6 hours and just had a little dampness around the fly zip on the trousers. The dampness could have been me of course:old:. I rate Härkila gear highly, never had the boots though so can't comment on them. I would not use the prohunter gear if i was stalking in the UK again. As Vipa said, better layering clothing out there.

I live in the area where Swedteam, Härkila, blåkläder and Tranemo workwear are based. All make good quality stuff you just need the right cloths for the right job.

Great Post Jagare. We don't stock Swedteam, but we do stock Harkila, Blaklader and also Tranemo. The Swedes know how to make proper kit. In due course a lighter weight Pro Hunter would be great. Harkila constantly look for customer, end user feedback and really do take note of comments and we will of course feed this back to them.
All the best and have a great season
Andrew
Rugged & Tough

What we found with the two pairs we got back was the internal crease on the articulation around the knee. The taping just missed the seam at the very point where the seam changed direction, hence the leak. We check all stock coming in, and have found none since. We are also checking all new arrivals too just on the off chance, but so far nothing.
Andrew
Rugged & Tough

How do you do that?

The lining is the Goretex membrane and if you turn the trousers inside out and look long the seams you will see a tram line, a line each side of the seam. This is where the taping is.
The tape is glued on with very high strength glue. However as advised by Gore-tex, never use bio detergents to wash the garments as this damages the glue. Only use non bio, and idealy liquid detergent. (We cover more off on our blog about this too)
All the best
Andrew
Rugged & Tough

Poor quality control aside, that goes a good way towards possibly identifying the issue with Harkila Pro Hunter trousers and leaky knees! It simply comes down to poorly thought out design..

There are two ways of using drop liners, either the membrane is welded directly to the face fabric in a 2 layer configuration and, as ePTFE is extremely delicate, a liner is used so that it creates a barrier between the skin and the membrane in order to prevent abrasion and contamination from the skin or....... the membrane is welded to the liner with the exposed ePTFE facing away from the skin. In this type of configuration the outer doesn't need to be waterproof, the idea being that the membrane will stop any water that does get through the face fabric from actually reaching the skin. In some ways it can be a bonus so for instance, if the face fabric is ripped or torn, the membrane is not immediately compromised and so retains its waterproof nature (I've had this with a beratta jacket.. bloody big hole in the cloth but still water tight!)

There are issues in this type of construction, mainly due to weight and bulk but also with wetting out.. if the face fabric gets soaked, the membrane can't work..(most fabrics are treated with a water repellent coating to try to prevent wetting out but it always happens at some point, even with brand new garments if they are subjected to heavy persistent rain or moisture) this is potentially an issue with any membrane jacket , but with a drop lined construction, the face fabric can wet out on both the outer and inner surfaces making matters much worse.. it is also possible for water to accumulate in the void between the liner and the face fabric and pool at the bottom seam (had this too in an old TNF jacket employing this system) ... Anyhoo... I digress....

Whilst drop liners are perfectly fine and, as I have said, in some circumstances may actually save the day if something gets ripped... They are not the best idea when used in any garment that will experience pressure points. So... in a jacket, no problem, but in trousers where the seat and in particular, the knee are going to experience pressure, it's a really, really ill thought out and bad idea..

To explain... in a 3 layer construction, the ePTFE membrane is sandwiched between 2 layers of man made fibre of some description which protect it... so, if you are kneeling down all those little movements you make will cause your knee to abrade the inner laminate which will, by design, be tough enough to stand it.. nothing moves directly against the membrane..

with a drop lined construction, your knee will put pressure on the lining which will mean the exposed ePTFE layer will be forced against and dragged along the inside of the face fabric which will be abrasive... ePTFE being as thin and delicate as it is will stand no chance and will break down in no time... et voila... leaky knees..

Alternatively, pressure can force water through the pores in ePTFE... anyone who has carried a heavy backpack in rain with a membrane jacket on will have experienced moist shoulders at some point or another... pressure at the knees or seat could also force water molecules through the pores and again, give you wet knees... A better idea would be to remove the membrane completely from the area subjected to the pressure, so, make the knee area completely waterproof, forget the breathability. In the grand scheme of things there is still a vast surface area over the rest of the legs to allow any vapour to escape!

So.... in summary... Drop lined construction (sort of) ok for jackets.... not really ok for trousers (unless you never intend to kneel or sit in them!)

Last edited:
Great Post Jagare. We don't stock Swedteam, but we do stock Harkila, Blaklader and also Tranemo. The Swedes know how to make proper kit. In due course a lighter weight Pro Hunter would be great. Harkila constantly look for customer, end user feedback and really do take note of comments and we will of course feed this back to them.
All the best and have a great season
Andrew
Rugged & Tough

I work in Tranemo and we use Tranemo Workwear. It take a good trashing at work and holds up well. Blåkläder is top of the range work wear as well. In the summer some of the boys wear the Blå kläder work kilts. Not a pretty site. The few bits of swedteam gear I've got are well worth the money. Pinewood is another company that make more budget clothing that looks quite good.

Very interesting information.

I have a pair of Prohunter trousers and a pair of Deerhunter Ram trousers.

The Prohunters are a bit more waterproof but absolutely freezing when they are soaked. The deerhunters are less waterproof but remain comfortable when soaked.

I wore my prohunters on stand in heavy rain and wind recently in Sweden - I would like to have shot them they were so uncomfortable. This discomfort was instrumental in me having to get up and walk around which cost me a very big bull.

Back