Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: feeders for boar

feeders for boar

Evening gents, what type of feeders are using for boar or are you just pouring on the ground,? I was thinking of just steaking a tyre down and filling with maize but I heard of people adapting old hoppers.
    Last edited by rosco; 25-09-2015 at 19:55.

Use the barrel type attached to a swivel and cable securely staked into the ground! The boar move the barrel and the contents come out slowly!

I use one like this
    Last edited by Jagare; 25-09-2015 at 20:26.

Seen a large barrel mounted about 5 foot up in the air with a timer spinning the feed out just before dark extra feed was dumped in and around the area I think it was an American feeder

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 600 View Post
    Use the barrel type attached to a swivel and cable securely staked into the ground! The boar move the barrel and the contents come out slowly!

Do you do this in North Essex or elsewhere

Atb Matt

I have been through various trials and tribulations with regards to boar feeders:
    Started off with 25lt drums...these were too small and emptied quickly if you can't get there every day.
    Went on to 100ltr plastic drum...squirrels chewed the holes to big and the corn pissed out everywhere and the fallow got wind and ate it all.
    MK3 was a stainless beer keg , squirrels still managed to hook corn out into piles for the deer to eat, think the holes may have been a bit too big will try welding them smaller. But it is a difficult compromise to get it right so enough comes out.
    MK4 burying it.....this worked well to start with but then the badgers worked it out, combined with the now army of squirrels caused alot of waste as well a suseptible to waterlogging.

Whatever you do you will attract every critter from miles around , this may not be so much of a problem if you are on the doorstep and can do something about it.

The MK5 is under construction and consists of a hopper with a lift up lid and in theory the only species able to access it will be boar. Something like this only heavier duty.

I will let you know after this winter how it goes.

Hi here is an idea for you to try a feeder only wild boar can opperate.
    Parts needed: 45lt steel clamp lid drum, I large steel swivel, some steel bar 10" long, a length of wire rope, a front wheel tractor tyre or similar, bag of cement and gravel.

Drill 4 or 5 holes through the tyre wall and corisponding holes in the base of the steel drum and bolt the 2 together using large washers to stop the bolts pulling out of the tyre.
    Now stand the drum upright with the tyre upper most, fill the tyre with a good strong concrete mix, now push the iron bar through one eye of the swivel and sink this into the centre of the concrete filled tyre, so that it cannot be pulled out once set.
    Drill holes in the drum, evenly spaced in 3 places around the drum and also top middle and bottom of same.
    Fasten the wire rope to the swivel one end and a steel hoop arround an imovable object in your chosen place, 2 metres of rope will do.
    Fill the drum with feed and clamp the lid on.
    The only animal cappable of pushing these around are pigs and as the feed comes out they eat it, when they stop, the feed stops and nothing else [except mice] gets to it.
    You might find an eye welded to the top side of the drum and a handy pulley fastened to a local tree will help stand the drum upright for easy filling.
    These feeders are used in europe and they work well.
    Last edited by levigsp; 30-09-2015 at 07:10.

What's wrong with using 2x4/2x6s, cut 18" to 2' in length, screwed together. This is what I always saw, when I lived in Germany, and this was very successful. You make a box, from the wood, to include a fitting cover, set the box where you want it, place the feed in the box and cover it with the lid. Place a large stone on the lid to insure the roe, and other deer are not able to open it, sit back in your High Seat and wait. I have shot a number of wild boar from feeder boxes like these.

Cheep, simple and easy to re-locate.

A simple 5 gallon drum with 12mm holes drilled in it then tied to a tre, they roll it around and the maize dribbles out, the tree/post also has a rag soaked in Stockholm Tar as an attractor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Never used anything else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!