Thread: Slight flattening on mouth of cartridge

Slight flattening on mouth of cartridge

Recently replaced my Tikka 595 in .222 with another from an SD forum member. I've only shot a dozen or so rounds,but every one has a slight flattening on the mouth of the fired cartridge,rather than being almost perfectly round. I at first thought they had been bumped whilst rattling around in my bag for a few days,but every one is the same. Ive shone a light into the action but can't see anything that might be to blame. There is pitting on the bolt face and the firing pin is quite rounded which suggests to me a high shot count,if that makes a difference.
    What could be causing this?

The ejector plunger is pushing the case out with enough force to ding the case against the side of the action.
    Many rifles do it, both the brownings I had did it, not a problem sizing die soon puts it right.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    The ejector plunger is pushing the case out with enough force to ding the case against the side of the action.
    Many rifles do it, both the brownings I had did it, not a problem sizing die soon puts it right.

Neil.
    +1 had it on other rifles.Done worry as long as it shoots good,the rest is just fluff

Dave

Cheers guys,that's a relief,had never seen this before. I wasn't sure whether re sizing would reshape it,so good news. Thanks again.

I had this on a .222.

It was just the extractor dinging them against the receiver - though it took me a while to figure out.

distorted cases after firing - Page 4

ditto. had it on a .223 rem 700 with the crappy paper clip extractor using lapua brass.

Get a '98 action! Case doesn't move outwards until the end of the rearward travel of the bolt!

David.

Blog Entries
    Common as anything with .223 in semi auto. Solid extraction is all you have there. They will resize fine.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post

Neil.
    My Tikka M55 does exactly the same - I can prevent it by keeping the ejector depressed by maintaining pressure on the the case during extraction till its in line with the ejection port. However, as stated by Neil, they re-size just fine.

Good to know that they'll resize ok,thanks to all who replied. Cheers