Accompanied stalk

Si

Can I use my own rifle on accompanied stalks even though I don't have deer on my ticket?

Si

Hi ,if you do not have deer on your ticket for that rifle , then i,m afraid thats it regardless who accompany's you.Thats the way I see it anyhow

legally no!!

And no guide worth his salt would allow you to for infringement of firearms legislation. I suggest you get deer put on your ticket or settle for the 'estate rifle'.

regards

steveM

Bummer!!! I was thinking it would be better than using an estate rifle that I'm not familiar with :-|

FEO said I need to get some more stalk receipts before he can put deer on ticket.

Last edited:
Bummer!!! I was thinking it would be better than using an estate rifle that I'm not familiar with :-|

FEO said I need to get some more stalk receipts before he can put deer on ticket.

Simples, get back to him and tell him you can't get any stalking receipts until he puts deer on your ticket! :doh:

Seriously though, you can obviously demonstrate 'good reason' so ask them to put up or put it in writing why not. Then take it from there.

Si

you can always book a couple of days stalking on seperate occassions and get a receipt from the guide to say you have booked. Then have words with the head of your licensing dept. stating that you need to have deer on your ticket to go stalking. That constitutes as 'good reason' and they should by rights not refuse.

Booked Stalks

Si,

Just out of interest how many paid stalks have you been on? I had only done 2, when I applied for my .243 for deer. I got the variation ok, with a nice condition attached. Then again this is Cheshire we are talking about...

Just the one up to now, Red hinds up in Scotland but hoping to have a go at the munties this summer using my own .223

Hi Si,

Just a thought, if you don't have Deer on your ticket you won't have expanding ammunition so would not be legaly for Deer with your own rifle anyway.

Cheers
SM15

Shootingduckdog - That is a fair point - It just did not ocurred to me that anyone permited to shoot Fox would have any problems getting Deer on their ticket!
SM15

Shootingduckdog - That is a fair point - It just did not ocurred to me that anyone permited to shoot Fox would have any problems getting Deer on their ticket!
SM15

I have fox and vermin on my ticket but not deer as the land that I submitted with my application doesn't have deer on it and I had only been on 1 paid stalk.

Hi again,

That explains it - thanks.

It was a few years ago now but I got Deer on my ticket with no stalks booked. I just pointed out as a member of BASC I had in effect a permanent invitation to their stalking schemes.

All the best
SM15

I know others might disagree but have you tried speaking to BASC about this as I am sure that wanting to take paid stalking is "good reason" to have deer on your ticket, especially as you already have the bloomin gun. Having been stalking is NOT a prerequisite of getting a condition on your rifle

I know others might disagree but have you tried speaking to BASC about this as I am sure that wanting to take paid stalking is "good reason" to have deer on your ticket, especially as you already have the bloomin gun. Having been stalking is NOT a prerequisite of getting a condition on your rifle

No disagreement here. Under the Firearms Act he has already demonstrated 'good reason' by having actually been deer stalking and now wanting to do more. He already has the rifle, and one might assume that Plod do not consider him a risk to public safety with it as they would have already revoked his FAC ;), so where is the problem?

To me this sounds like one particular FEO having a bee in his bonnet about deer.

Si, go back to them or even better write them a letter stating your position and asking for the rifle to be conditioned for deer. If they still refuse, get their reasons in writing, (might be an idea to actually ask if they consider you to be a risk to public safety :D), and take it from there - BASC or A. N. Other Org if you are a member, (I hear that SACS are willing to stand up for their people.)

When I spoke to the FEO about this he said that if I provided a permission form for a piece of land that has deer present then he would grant it no problem... but to go down the paid stalking route I would need to provide either pre-bookings or reciepts.
At the moment I can't really afford to book 2 stalks at £240 a go + accomodation etc so I'm looking at muntjack as a cheaper alternative. I thought I could save myself another £25 by not having to hire the estate rifle.

Back