Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humane despatch 2

Humane despatch 2

I have just been reading about the alleged water buffalo in Chesterfield. I couldn't resist and sent reply or two.

It raises a good question or three (apologies if this has been covered before)

Humane despatch from a legal perspective re: calibre's. I understand .22 is illegal for deer. ?

.22 rf to my certain knowledge will efficiently kill much bigger animals than deer.(I am talking about head shots close-up like a slaughter man would expedite) . Horses and cows for example. OK not necessarily in a distressed state but with correct placement certainly does the job. Same applies to the venerable .410 . Kill a big horse DRT as they say in the States.

A local vet once advised me that her .32 (I think) was an concern as she had had numerous problems with bullets dangerously exiting the casualty. I said I would love to knock up some home loads that would help her out but that it would be illegal. Told her to chuck her pistol away and get a .410 instead.

Am I right that .22 is illegal for deer despatch? If so why is the .410 legal for the same job? It is certainly no more legal than .22 rimfire for shooting deer in other circumstances (rightly)?

Ade

you are allowed to dispatch a wounded deer with any means ? Ie .22
    Last edited by Scots_stalker; 28-09-2015 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade8mm View Post

Am I right that .22 is illegal for deer despatch?

Ade

Nope

Hi Scot

The fact you have answered this with a question clearly identifies at least you are as unsure as me.

No offese intended.

Cheers Chanty

Can you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Ade8mm View Post
    Hi Scot

The fact you have answered this with a question clearly identifies at least you are as unsure as me.

No offese intended.
    Sorry. I've edited it to what is should have said. ( bloody iPad )

Yes you are allowed to use a .22 Rimfire, infact the wording its any means, if you know what you doing.

http://firearmsuk.org/wp-content/upl...collisions.pdf

The legal standing on dispatching a wounded deer is by any means necessary to prevent further suffering,so yes to dispatch a wounded deer a .22 is legal,I had this arguement with the local firearms dept a few years back and on them doing some checking up on the legalities they agreed.

I might be wrong here but I seem to remember from my DSC1 that the laws were different for Scotland & England. Scotland is as above (any means to stop suffering) & England required the use of a deer-legal rifle. I've only stalked in Scotland so I've not had occasion to study the English law since then.

.22 rf fine is allowed in england for humane despatch.