Big deer small fridge

Legolas

I'm sure I've read something on here before about hanging a deer by the aitch bone or something similar but I can't for the life of me ding it. Basically I'm trying to find out possible ways of hanging deer when they may be longer than the height available in your fridge. I've just put a hanging rail in my fridge and I've maybe got 1.5m to the base. So, apart from get another fridge, does anyone have any suggestions.

thanks

jonty

Get big(ish) 's' hook and insert it down the anal cavity so it hooks out towards the front (belly) side of the beast.
the other end of the hook (sticking out of he earse end) can either be hooked onto rail, or if not long enough link another hook onto it and hook this onto rail.

One placeI've seen the aitch bone hanging is mentioned in John Weiss's book,"Butchering Deer" (P70) though he suggests it as a way to tenderisean old beast and suggests using a hook under the aitch bone, however this willonly work if the aitch bone isn't sawn out in the larder as is common practise around here. Or you could cut itinto large sections to fit in your fridge, e.g. separate the haunches,shoulders and loins, take of the upper legs and hang in your big fridge or wrap and spread the sectionsaround house fridge(s), co-operation from other fridge users isrequired! The brisket, neck bits of flank etc. will usually be going for mince socan be cut of the bone and either minced or left to age in lumps in a trayin a fridge for mincing later. Alternatively, don't use afridge. I find I don't usually need one, though I have to be careful with any deer shot in a scorching July or August (not this year). It is usuallycool enough at other times in my area and I just adjust the hanging time to suit thetemperature and humidity. There are no windows in the shed I use and I use a UV fly killer. Depending on ambient temperatureand humidity, I've hung deer without a fridge for anything from 1 to 2days to 3 weeks. I don't expect the Yorkshire dales will be too hot and this could work for you. I check the deer daily and you have to trust your senses and as soon as you think it is ready for cutting up, don't delay.

It was monkey spankers thread about his larder facilities that suggested hanging by the aitch bone, it's worth asking yourself though, if it's that big, do you have means of getting it raised up to hanging height? Winches/hoists etc linked to the hanging rail, or someone else available to help at least, and is the fridge hanging system strong enough to take the weight.......
hanging by the aitch none will mean the leg muscles set in an unconventional way, you might not have classic looking joints to prepare.....

Get big(ish) 's' hook and insert it down the anal cavity so it hooks out towards the front (belly) side of the beast.
the other end of the hook (sticking out of he earse end) can either be hooked onto rail, or if not long enough link another hook onto it and hook this onto rail.

I do the same, the hook fits under the pubic bone (the lowest part of the pelvis) you stab a little meat, but not enough to be a concern. Second hook to get enough length. Do it before rigor sets in!!

Many thanks for the various suggestions folks, I was lucky enough to grass a nice red last night so I'll be putting some into practice when I get back home. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back