Good Night Vision Scopes ?

Fergie9

Hi all

I'm looking for advice on Night Vision Scopes for a Rim Fire Rifle. Just need an idea of what to look for and examples of recommended scopes.

Much appreciated

I have a Pulsar NV870 on mine, use it just for rabbits and had no problems at all. You do meed to get a good IR source as well though. I use the night master 800 with mine

Yep, to give anything like relevant advice, you'll need to say if it's a dedicated one (that is, only to be used in the dark) or one with a daytime capability. Or do you want an add on to your current scope? Some idea of budget would be good too. As the Singing Stalker says, you can spend from under £500 to over £4000. Having said that, you can get value for money in the lower price range and indeed anywhere in between probably.

Might be worth stalking the videos on YouTube, where you can find reviews and often some footage of scopes in use, maybe you can then narrow down what is good for you.

I totally agree the Longbow is probably the best NV out there. However as the op has said he wants a scope for a rimfire I think I would go down the Archer route. Still a brilliant piece of kit using a standard scope which needs to be suitable, but more than adequate for anything out to 150 yards and more with a decent IR but cheaper than the Longbow.

If you want an add-on that fits onto the back of your existing scope then the Ward D vision 700 is the best bet at £695
That will allow you to continue to use your day scope without any changes to zero or reticle focus.
You will also need an infra red illuminator, and for rimfire ranges there are plenty available, the black sun B20 at £42 would do the job nicely.
If you want a dedicated night vision riflescope for rimfire ranges, then I'd strongly recommend a digital scope rather than a tube type such as the Longbow or the Archer.
A Pulsar N750 would be the cheapest at around £1250 new - although you may well be able to pick up a good used scope around £750.
The best digital scope is the Drone Pro at £1700 - still a lot less than a good tubed unit.
Hope that helps

Cheers

Bruce

I've got a sweet little 5x Gen2+ that I've been using on Rimfire. I think it's better than a Photon XT, but either are perfect for rimfire. I've just upgraded, so drop me a line if either is of interest

If you want an add-on that fits onto the back of your existing scope then the Ward D vision 700 is the best bet at £695
That will allow you to continue to use your day scope without any changes to zero or reticle focus.
You will also need an infra red illuminator, and for rimfire ranges there are plenty available, the black sun B20 at £42 would do the job nicely.
If you want a dedicated night vision riflescope for rimfire ranges, then I'd strongly recommend a digital scope rather than a tube type such as the Longbow or the Archer.
A Pulsar N750 would be the cheapest at around £1250 new - although you may well be able to pick up a good used scope around £750.
The best digital scope is the Drone Pro at £1700 - still a lot less than a good tubed unit.
Hope that helps

Cheers

Bruce

Old age getting to me again!! The Photon XT is an excellent choice for rimfire use.

Cheers

Bruce

I wasn't brave enough to start this thread despite looking for ages..

Ive been recommended to take the NiteSite Viper and upgrade the IR illuminator for more distance. its an add on to the std scope as you'd expect

A friend has a setup and will demonstrate this in due course before I buy anything.
£400 makes it affordable for use - as I don't like the smell of '£3000' for a dedicated scope no matter how good.

What about NV spotter scopes then ... ?? recommendations ??

TOMSK

Hope that helps

Cheers

Bruce

I am using a self built add on on my .22 it came in at £110 and has proved very useable, I will be trying it against a Ward D 700 tomorrow night ( I expect it to lose but the question is by how much? ):)

Loads of choice. Top end is a longbow which is a day/night scope 2.5-10x56. Bottom end is the photon. Also budget for a ir and the attachments to stick it on your rifle. Then In between you have archers and wardies and nite sites.
Depends on if you have money and prefer tube or are on a budget. How far you want to be able to identify things. With the right scope I personally think the nitesite is a good buy. 99% of my bunny shooting is done at night so I need a really good nv unit.
For spotters go on the night vision forum and talk to somebloke, that is his moniker and look at his spotters. Very good value.

I wouldn't recommend the DFA for a rimfire due to the position of the DFA with respect to the barrel. You need something that sits close to the barrel to achieve decent accuracy for a rimfire over the range you will be using it at. The DFA75 is fine for a centrefire over longer distances.

Kieran

Near eye or head up?

I am using a self built add on on my .22 it came in at £110 and has proved very useable, I will be trying it against a Ward D 700 tomorrow night ( I expect it to lose but the question is by how much? ):)

Back