Thread: Venison sausages (three different types)

Venison sausages (three different types)

I finally bit the bullet and attempted to make my own venison sausages. The base recipe was 60% venison to 40% belly pork.

I then made the following:

a) chilly and choriso
    b) Mushroom and red wine
    c) apple and onion

Recipes to whoever is interested are available via pm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2529.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	61731

Recipes please mate they sound & look good,

Ta
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Recipes please mate they sound & look good,

Ta

Sure, no problem. Here is is:

As mentioned in the OP, the base recipe was 60% venison to 40% belly pork for all variants. Salt and pepper to taste.

a) chilly and choriso

This is the most simple recipe of all. All I did was add 150gr of cooking choriso (available from any supermarket) 3 table spoons of smoked paprika and chillies to 1 kg of my base recipe meat (see above). I like mine hot so I used a LOT of scotch bonnets. I added a bit of pepper and that's it.

b) Mushroom and red wine

I ground around 400gr of portobello mushrooms (any other mushroom will do) and added 300ml of red wine (I could and should have used a bit more) to 1 kg of my base recipe meat (see above). I used Merlot, as I wanted a fuller taste. I also added around 10 crushed juniper berries and 5 crushed pimento peppers.

c) apple and onion

I added 500gr of boiled cooking apples to 1 kg of my base recipe meat (see above). I also used 3 table spoons of sage (I could and should have used a bit more), 1 table spoon of ground cinnamon, 1 table spoon of ground cloves, and 2 tea spoons of asafoetida. I finally added 20ml of Robinson's double concentrate apple and blackcurrant cordial (undiluted) for added sweetness and taste (it made a pleasant difference).

This was my first attempt on making sausages, and I have to admit I was worried before I started. After tasting the results though, I am really happy I gave it a go. Next time I will probably tweak the recipe a tad, to add a bit more taste from the dry ingredients. If you like the sausages to have a more meaty flavour, then my recipe definitely achieves that. I just like spices a lot, so it is a matter of taste, really.

Great stuff thanks mate
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Always great to hear of someone having a go at making their own bangers. It's a passion that I turned into a profession.

For what it's worth...couple of tips...

Fresh ingredients are great for small batches though be mindful that it is easier to get a consistent mix with evenly distributed seasoning & spice with dry ingredients. Chopping sage for 5lb no problem for 100lb... A little longer but also harder to get even distribution.

Always overseason...by this I mean that when making burgers or sausages the level of seasoning that you should use is far higher than if you were simply sprinkling seasoning onto a venison steak. Think about the increased surface area of a steak once it's been minced!

Fresh ingredients have great punch around 3-4days but the flavour profile can quickly fade. Dry ingredients need at least 2days to develop but pack punch for up to 10days.

Cooking sausages is a vigorous cooking process that involves high heat for long periods, again lends itself to dried spices rather than fresh. As a rule of thumb fresh herbs to finish a dish & dry ones to start. That said some recipes just work!

Always use natural casings... They are superior in every way!

Never ***** your sausages....it will let the fat (flavour) run out & dry out you hard prepped sausage mix. Not to mention the Sausage Police rapid response unit will be knocking down your door!��

Can't beat making your own bangers, I've got my two kids in on the act too.
    Much hilarity trying to stuff sausages too...
    140 sausages & some mince from a nice healthy doe last week, jobs a goodun!

What a great picture mate. My daughter is 5 but still got stuck in.