Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sika show NZ

Sika show NZ

Some photos from this years Sika show
    Attachment 61733
    Attachment 61734

Very wide antlered sika. Nice pics

You got any more pics Taff? Looks like some really good mounts at that show!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Just out of interest has anybody looked in to the genetic purity of these Sika?
    I only say that because the winning mount looks like Sika antlers stuck on a Red body.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Just out of interest has anybody looked in to the genetic purity of these Sika?
    I only say that because the winning mount looks like Sika antlers stuck on a Red body.
    I think it's fair to say the nz sika are a fairly mixed bag in terms of their origins. I have a very interesting book on nz sika, which goes into great depth of the different subspecies, well beyond the generally accepted Japanese/Formosan/Manchurian. I was also surprised how far they differ in appearance from the UK sika.

Novice

Get yourself a copy of The Sika by D.Bruce Banwell The Halcyon Press ISBN 978-1-877256-96-7 He goes into great detail although a few of the photos could be better.It also gives records of heads on The Douglas System of measuring used in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by morena View Post
    Get yourself a copy of The Sika by D.Bruce Banwell The Halcyon Press ISBN 978-1-877256-96-7 He goes into great detail although a few of the photos could be better.It also gives records of heads on The Douglas System of measuring used in New Zealand
    +1 that's the book I was referring to, just didn't have it to hand to confirm details!

Novice

The white patch on the throat is a very Manchurian type trait, as is the red/ginger colouration around the face