Is 300 yards and beyond sporting?

A Guy Out West

Even if you can shoot a game animal at over 300 yards, should you? Is it sporting? I have found, depending on cover, game at 300 yards and beyond become very much less cautious and sometimes will not give you much mind. I have made a few "long shots" and to tell the truth, I felt like I was cheating. Your thoughts.

nothing wrong with it if you can hit the target then take the shot,, many people on this forum will say its to far but i have taken many deer at this range 300 is not a long shot at all,,,,i also enjoy exploding crows and pigeons at that range great fun,,, get a target up and practice,,, when your happy and on the button crack on mate and post the pics ,,,,,

stalking on some of my ground the fields are open and no cover so long shots will need to be taken,,,

All depends on the circumstances. If you are recreational shooting for sport then no, the challenge has got to be to get in good and close. If you have a job to do and a cull target to hit, then IF you are so confident you are sure it's not going to go wrong then take it. Even with the quickest calibre's though drop outside 300 yds get pretty spectacular - you really need to know your rifle or your dial in data and wind comes into play big time.

The only other circumstance is the mercy shot on an injured beast. In that case we all have a duty, providing it's realistic, to have a go.

Killing is killing. There's nothing sporting about killing. All that matters to me is whether it's a quick death or not.

It completely depends on the quarry your hunting and the terrain that your in. There are some animals in certain terrain where 300yrds would be considered normal, let alone unsporting. The animals are flighty and the terrain unforgiving in terms of approach or concealment.

I've hunted for days in mountains for an animal, and I can assure you that the last thing you would think if that animal was 300yrds away was. "Hmmm… Is this shooting or hunting? Perhaps I'll leave it…."

Last edited:
Meaning of stalking getting close to animal shooting from 300yards long range shooting not stalking

It completely depends on the quarry your hunting and the terrain that your in. There are some animals in certain terrain where 300yrds would be considered normal, let alone unsporting. The animals are flighty and the terrain unforgiving in terms of approach or concealment.

I've hunted for days in mountains for an animal, and I can assure you that the last thing you would think if that animal was 300yrds away was. "Hmmm… Is this shooting or hunting? Perhaps I'll leave it…."

Good and valid points.

You might argue distance is irrelevant or at best an unhelpful distraction. The more pertinent question being does SD promote deer "sport hunting" or "management"?‎

K

I mean beyond 300, are you leaving the realm of fair chase.

If you follow the Boone & Crockett definition of Fair Chase then you have to ask whether shooting at beyond 300 yards:

1. Is ethical
2. Is sportsmanlike
3. Is lawful, and,
4. Gives the hunter an improper advantage over his quarry

The only one of the above criteria that is truly objective is number 3, to which the answer is "yes". For the others it's inevitably a matter of personal opinion.

If you follow the Boone & Crockett definition of Fair Chase then you have to ask whether shooting at beyond 300 yards:

1. Is ethical
2. Is sportsmanlike
3. Is lawful, and,
4. Gives the hunter an improper advantage over his quarry

The only one of the above criteria that is truly objective is number 3, to which the answer is "yes". For the others it's inevitably a matter of personal opinion.

I think that's it, if you feel you have an improper advantage, then you probably do.

A Guy Out West,

On 2nd March 2004 Rosetta set off to hunt. 3,907 days later she completed her stalk close to her target. The target knew nothing of her approach. On 12th November 2014 she "took the shot" and hit.

More than 300 yards but I do think "sporting".

Didn't get the "kill" expected but that's the way things are, sometimes :)

6.4 billion Kilometres ish.

Now, that is a hunt.......... Technology helps, nothing wrong with that.

Stan

Last edited:
Back