I got this fella the other day i wonder is he worth getting measured

Attachments

• DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 301
2 different animals aren't they? Either way, if they're both wild animals you've done wonderfully, either would do me as the stag of a lifetime.

I know little about red medals but that first one seems to have the weight and length throughout to make it worth measuring.

Let us know how you get on.

novice

No mate same stag.Wild as reds come [woodland stalking]. two seasons trying to get a red stag and this one my 1st.

Weight is a key factor or at least gives an indication, keep him full skull too if you are going to get it measured.

what weight is it boiled out?

Sorry mate, but I'm with Novice. They look like two different beasts. Ones got 14 points and the other has 12. Perhaps it's just the picture angles but I can't see it myself.

However, both are bloody stunning and if they are your first you are a very lucky man!

Sorry mate, but I'm with Novice. They look like two different beasts. Ones got 14 points and the other has 12. Perhaps it's just the picture angles but I can't see it myself.

However, both are bloody stunning and if they are your first you are a very lucky man!

i can still see 14 points, its the angle, the two 'missing points' are just in line with th emain beams, but you can still see the tips are whiter.......

Same stag alright, see the little kink in the top right. Must be the angle of the photo. Well done, I'd say you weigh a bit less after dragging him!

The op is correct indeed, If you look very carefully you will see its the same rack, most impressive beast, not into trophies myself so no idea about what it would measure.

OK, just blown it up and can just see the extra tines.

Still bloody impressive and far too good for your first stag!!!

Ha ha its the same head just the head is at different angle so you cant see the points.The man that was with me has been shooting reds for along time and it was the biggest he seen.Their is bigger where he was got but im happy with him for this year.next year il take an other one but has to 16 plus before id take him.The stag in the photo was 4/5 year old.

Mate, you're spoilt.

I have been stalking for 10 years or so, have taken over 50 stags and all have been switches, injured or old buggers. Biggest I have shot is a 10 pointer which had nothing like the girth of yours. He only got shot because he had been dragging his ******** through the heather and been standing on them with his hind legs so they were the size of rugby balls, poor old bugger.

You need to set your sights a bit lower, you have just shot the stag of a lifetime.

A nice 14 point head, I too originally thought they were different heads but I can now see they are the same beast. It's hard to be sure but I don't think it has enough antler length, mass and beam circumference to make the 165 CIC points required for a bronze. (I don't think Irish reds are classed as "Scottish" for medals). It seems to have good trey tines but it would need to have an antler length of about 90cms and beam circumferences of about 23 cms to be worth measuring and it looks a bit short.

widest tine to widest tine 39 inches[99cm] just under a meter and from skull to highest tine is 32 inches[81cm] so your right not long enough

Back