Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest US Shootings

Latest US Shootings

I woke up to the shocking news of yet another mass shooting in the States. My thoughts are with all those affected.

On the BBC I see that Obama has said..

"countries like the UK and Australia showed that effective legislation was possible"

There we have it. A statement from the President of the USA . The UK's firearms legislation is effective.

Invisible handgun crime here, they removed all the legally held ones & hey presto, no more handgun deaths, thoughts with those involved in the most recent losses.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Murderer was apparently of English nationality and born in the UK. Last of 4 'massacres' this year. (Multiple shootings of 4 or more people = massacres)
    So indiscriminate and without purpose, awful for the families, victims for ever.
    I shall be thinking about the victims and their families.
    The link to England is shaming.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    I think the media stokes this. Where else can these losers get any attention. Go out and kill a bunch of people and then everyone will get to see your picture, hear your pitiful story, see where you lived, see your family and friends. The media helps in creating these people. Each time it seems like the most recent shooter is trying to outdo the last. I say the only thing the media should say is a mentally ill person shot some innocent people today. No nothing on the shooter, other than he was mentally ill. This has only come about in the last 50 years or so in the US. Sick inside!

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    I think the media stokes this. Where else can these losers get any attention.
    been on YouTube recently?!
    don't need to kill anyone

SD Regular
    This will be my ONLY input to this thread. No one can object to reasonable measures. But, and this is why the NRA of the USA sensibly oppose any and all gun control, reasonable measures then become unreasonable and eventually become gun bans.

My mother died in 2014. She was born in 1919.

In her lifetime, as an FAC Holder from before WWII she saw self-loading rifles banned, handguns banned, controls on short barrel shot pistols (such that are no s5 in reality), on standard five pump action shot guns, controls on standard five shot self loading shot guns (in reality by virtue of s1 requirement for most people a de facto "bans"), Shot Gun Certificates introduced, medical check consent required, and fees going from the 2s 6d (thats twelve and a half decimal "new" pence BTW) to what now and in the future?

And that no matter how reasonable those measures that eventually the gun owner will be asked to pay for the administration of those measures....in an ever increasing raising of those costs

Gun owners in the USA quite sensibly reject what the press may say are reasonable measures as they only need to look to the UK and Australia to see the route those reasonable measures ALWAYS become.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 02-10-2015 at 15:45.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Youtube, wouldn't you have to post something worth viewing? Wouldn't they face ridicule?

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Gun owners in the USA quite sensibly reject what the press may say are reasonable measures as they only need to look to the UK and Australia to see the route those reasonable measures ALWAYS become.
    sorry you lost me there.
    I can't see a single sensible or rational rejection by the NRA or the many owners who are vocal on the subject.

background checks are not enforced
    security is not mandatory
    there is no register at all

only going to get worse before it gets better

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    sorry you lost me there.
    I can't see a single sensible or rational rejection by the NRA or the many owners who are vocal on the subject.

background checks are not enforced
    security is not mandatory
    there is no register at all

only going to get worse before it gets better
    have to say I agree with you Bewsher.

Nothing justifies what happened. The Guy out west has quite a point. I think gun control is pernicious we now have the police claiming the rise in knife crime on the fact that knives can be bought over the internet. You still have to break the law to carry them and whatever happened to stop and search. This will inevitably lead to the end of knife sales on the internet and probably machettes for gamekeepers.
    Perhaps the answer is for the US to accept basic checks at this stage and to do that such that 90% of the house has to accept any further proposed controls on guns ?
    There needs to be a beginning for the US but not the avalanche of subsequent controls.