Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6x42 realistic use

6x42 realistic use

as a few would have seen a couple of weeks ago i bought myself a .22 hornet and all is going well but i would like to change the scope i have on it for somthing a little simpler but ultimatly as good a low light prefomance as i can afford, i have on top of it at the moment a falcon menace 4.5-18x56 which yes is ok and certainly does its job but at some point when funds allow i would like to replace it. i was originaly loking at a 8x56 or maybe even a 8x50 by one of the top 3 but have recently been thinking about maybe saving a bit of money and going for a 6x42 but i was wondering what others thought especialy as im wanting to continue to use on general vermin, crows magpies ect which obviously are a smaller target than a fox and may well need a little more mag to see whats going on. ranges will be the usual out ton 200yrds or there abouts, or maybe what ever i can manage on the day

I'm not sure you are going to hit too many 200 yd crows with a 6*42. I would be wanting the option to go 12 times at least, but I do like a bit of magnification.
    So much to learn and so little time left

A 6x42 scope is a great scope,I've had a Swarovski 6x42 habicht now for more years than I care to remember it's been from rifle to rifle and never let me down,it's lighter than an 8x56 although doesn't gather as much light,looking at what you have written above the 6x42 would suit you fine,especially one in the higher price bracket,I just find it a great all rounder comfortably shoot out to 200yds with it,and great for woodland work too

Look at the Meopta 6x42 - it has a fine centre cross hair. I had it on my 243 and was shooting hairs and rabbits quite easily out to 150 / 200 yards. It's now on the 22 and many rabbits wish it wasn't. I would have thought it would be ideal on a lightweight 22 hornet.

Same here, Swarovski 6x42 on both my rimfires 22 & Hmr, granted I stay within 100yds with either, I can't see why one wouldn't be suitable for 150 Yds plus ... Give It a go
    ... Altogether a rather better class of Remington 222 user ...

A 6x42 is about as large as you would want a scope on a .22 Hornet, for matching its size and balance.
    As Heym SR20 says, something with a thin and sharp crosshair at the center will let you aim better than a .22 Hornet can reach. A crosshair that only covers 1/4 inch at 100 yards permits some precise aiming.

I run matching 6x42mm duplex scopes on a .22 LR, .223 Rem, and .308 Win. My scopes are not as good, and the duplex is not as fine as the Meopta, but I can easily shoot crows and pigeons at 150 yards with the .22 LR. My first scope was a 6x20mm on that same .22 LR, when I was about 12 years old, so what I am saying is that if you practice, and become very accustomed to a 4x or 6x scope, you will be pleasingly surprised by how precisely and how far you can shoot well.

My .22LR carries iron tangent sights, no issues on bunnies out to 125yds with complete confidence, so 6x42 should be plenty! don't go for S&B, thick crosshairs!

the varmint gun carries a 4x32 these days, never lacked light or magnification.

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

I used a S&B 6 x 42 on my .222 for several years, did think about changing/selling it but it only has a 1" tube so didn't think I'd get a lot for it to make it worth while me changing/selling it.

thanks for your replys chaps i might well look into getting a 6x42 or maybe the 7x50

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    My .22LR carries iron tangent sights, no issues on bunnies out to 125yds with complete confidence, so 6x42 should be plenty! don't go for S&B, thick crosshairs!

the varmint gun carries a 4x32 these days, never lacked light or magnification.
    Have to agree about the S&B great scopes but compared to the Swarovski thicker crosshairs,which is ok for lower light work not so good on targets further out as tends to cover a bit of target area.