Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need new stalking sticks

I need new stalking sticks

I find myself in need of new sticks. I know many people talk fondly of the quad sticks made by Limulus here, but as far as I understand these are not collapsible and mine need to be. So, any suggestions please? Thanks!

John Hammond quad pod. Never leave home without them.
    Hammond Sporting, Country Sporting Goods, UK
    i have shot countless bunnies with them, well actually I keep good records so it is not countless,
    they are good and they collapse which is why I also bought them.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I use the primos trigger tripod. Jim Shockley Gen II.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

I've got a few different sets of sticks I use but favour either a modified set of Limulus's sticks or the Knobloch sticks. Because the Knobloch sticks are collapsable they can be stowed by attaching to my roe sack leaving my hands free. If I needed a set of collapsable quad sticks I'd be buying a second set of the Knobloch & lashing them together; this would give you the added flexibility of just using a good light pair of twin sticks or setting up for quad sticks, both of which would work very well for standing or sitting shots. They are very well made & the legs have 3 sections, allowing them to collapse to a useful size. Hunting Solutions on here sell them.

It's not the cheapest option but it would be the most flexible. If you find the option of making minor adjustments to the front end of the rifle without moving & resetting the quad sticks (as per the Hammond ones mentioned above) attractive try holding the conventional sticks differently; grasp the front cross with your left hand (assuming right-handedness) & lay your thumb on top of the cross, your rifle on top of your thumb & the 4 fingers to grasp the sling & sticks; it should allow you to move the rifle a small amount left or right. This position also would help if 'bounce' from your stick/rifle combination is an issue. African PH's always seem to recommend your entire hand between the sticks & the rifle to soak up bounce. Might not work so well if you use one of these vulgar bipod thingies though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    John Hammond quad pod. Never leave home without them.
    Hammond Sporting, Country Sporting Goods, UK
    i have shot countless bunnies with them, well actually I keep good records so it is not countless,
    they are good and they collapse which is why I also bought them.
    Also have a set of these and find them very stable to shoot from, there's only 2 downsides to the unit and they're that they don't go low enough for a sitting shot and they need tape over the holes to stop them whistling in winds.
    Service from Hammond is second to non.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    I use the primos trigger tripod. Jim Shockley Gen II.
    Super! But easily bent enough for them not to drop under their own weight.

Don't mess around and don't leave them on the 200 yard firing point!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Those are the ones!

The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Thanks a lot for all the replies. This Primo trigger tripod surely looks impressive...