Thread: Moving - any deer near Monmouth ?

Moving - any deer near Monmouth ?

Anybody know if there are deer within about 8 miles of Monmouth? Went walking near a place called 'the Narth' and saw a fallow doe in the woods.
    The area does look like good habitat with woods near the river, on either side. The deer distribution maps suggest no Red or Chinese but Fallow, Roe and Muntjac. Any advice on a good gunshop, local to Monmouth, or any other 'shooting advice' would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Looks like the world and his dog are moving to Monmouth... This was done a month or so(?) ago. Try the search facility, this link: Monmouthshire or wait for 8x57 to rock up...

"Mike you're on...!"
    Last edited by Bandit Country; 03-10-2015 at 18:19. Reason: Insert link

Thanks for that Bandit Country, just hoping I get some on the land I'm looking to buy.

Kes, Mike (8x57) is RO & more at the Monmouth tunnel range, so at least you will have a lot of shooting types close by. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

contact Barry<Elmer Fudd>he,s got loads of stalking arround there and if you visit the Rolls of Monmouth golf course youl see herds of Fallow its awash with them
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

I come from Monmouth and there have always been plenty of fallow around, not only in the main Forest of Dean and the outlying woods on the English side of the Wye, but also in most of the bigger woods on the Welsh side although they don't go too far to the West, Usk and Abergavenny being roughly the western limit for fallow although they do turn up further west from time to time. To the south they can be found almost down the the city limits of Newport. One aspect of the local fallow is that, although they can have big body weights, I've seen bucks that have gone almost 200lbs, the antler quality is generally not exceptional and big fully palmated heads are comparatively rare. Most local deer are of the common colour but there are significant numbers of melanistic animals, in some areas they are even in a majority.

The Forest of Dean boar have long since crossed the Wye and are now firmly establish on the Welsh side of the Wye valley, pretty much down to Chepstow. Roe have also now moved in and the first gold medal from the area was shot fairly recently. The Monmouthshire terrain suits roe very well and they are likely to spread further west than the fallow, especially as they are also moving south from mid Wales and Herefordshire as well as from the East. I saw a road kill roe just North of Hereford in 1997 so the vanguard may have been around for some time. I could see the expansion of roe and muntjac heading this way in the 1970s and had a master plan of tying up long term stalking rights on a few of the local woods, too small for resident fallow, and thus cheaply with them having no deer present. I didn't follow it through and it took a bit longer than I thought for them to arrive, but it now seems that it was a decent plan!

Strangely, muntjac have appeared in the area for a relatively long time with very occasional single animals reported, mostly from the Llanfapley area, since the late 60s but they are now arriving in bigger numbers as part of the spread from the East and North. There are also a very small number of reds on the edge of the main Forest but I'm not going to say exactly where, hopefully they will increase over time. The Forestry Commission are not currently culling any but they are shooting roe and muntjac in the area, muntjac effectively on a "shoot on sight" basis.

One of the local issues is that the area has long been a hot spot for poaching and lamping (legal and illegal) and this is not going to help the newer species to get established.

Elmer Fudd has ground in the area with most of the above species on it, he doesn't shoot many roe or muntjac yet although I think he now offers boar in addition to fallow.
    Last edited by paul k; 04-10-2015 at 11:12.

My thanks to Paul and finnbear270. If all goes according to plan, I' ll contact both the members mentioned as I would like to join a club for range shooting and do some more local stalking. I would like to join the Wye and Usk partnership and help with their work conserving salmon and sea trout etc. The place looks special and with hopefully some 30 acres I may be able to offer something in return. How do members find the local Constabulary - I'm hoping they will be shooting friendly. Cant wait for things to be completed.

SD Regular
    We'll look forward to welcoming you to the area hopefully then. MDRC is your natural club choice, being convenient and most amenable.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    My thanks to Paul and finnbear270. If all goes according to plan, I' ll contact both the members mentioned as I would like to join a club for range shooting and do some more local stalking. I would like to join the Wye and Usk partnership and help with their work conserving salmon and sea trout etc. The place looks special and with hopefully some 30 acres I may be able to offer something in return. How do members find the local Constabulary - I'm hoping they will be shooting friendly. Cant wait for things to be completed.
    The local police used to be just about the worst to work with, people were even moving the few miles into Herefordshire or Gloucestershire to get a different force, but I understand it's a lot better now. With regard to fishing the sea trout are very low in number in the Wye, there's more in the Usk but the rivers further west are better. If you like trout and coarse fishing drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a local club where you can fish for a year for the same money as one salmon day with the WUF, that's less than 50.
    Last edited by paul k; 04-10-2015 at 19:07.

Paul,
    Thanks for your offer PM on its way.