Ecoli from venison 9 cases

Yes depending on with ones you get are wipes we use in the shop are very effective and we have the data to back it up they are good to 5 log witch is as high as we can source ,so using wipes for the right application will help with reducing the risk off ecoli for sure ,but there's no substitute for washing your hands . I always use gloves when gralloch is done ,and regularly wash my hands when skinning deer ,gels are more for after you have washed and dried your has like a back up not really instead of.as for the chicken when the pluk chicken they use a method call scalding with involves a lot of water so when they draw the birds its easly spread , you will find that a lot of smaller producers of poultry don't have a problem with camylobacta infact one producer in Suffolk sent the birds of for testing and they all came back clear of it ,so it not on the meat to begin with its spread from the gut ,the same as ecoli can be spread from the gut .

Last edited:
When in the field I use wipes but I would get something better then detol have a look on a catering supply's web site ,but I always wash things properly with sanitiser when I get back to base also I have a premixed bottle in the car so I can wash my hands when need be.

I remember someone bragging once that detol kills 99% of all known germs, the person heading the lecture pointed out , that only leaves several hundred that will kill you.

That's why I wouldn't use detol wipes but something that has been designed for professional use industrial circumstances ,not something you can pick of the shelf at your local supermarket

you will find that a lot of smaller producers of poultry don't have a problem with camylobacta infact one producer in Suffolk sent the birds of for testing and they all came back clear of it ,so it not on the meat to begin with its spread from the gut ,the same as ecoli can be spread from the gut .

I got food poisoning last year two days after working on a small local chicken farm. They were worried that I had caught it from their plant (I wasn't ), so they requested an inspection. Turned up clear of camplyobacter and ecoli.
I had gotten I'll from eating unwashed strawberries.
They bed their chickens in straw, which they say fares better than chickens bedded on dust or shavings in test results.

Well I've not done any DSC so ignorant of the "facts" Why do disinfectant gels not work ?

From our Environmental Health Technician brief:

"using gels on unwashed hands is like taking a dump on your kitchen floor and then pouring some bleach on it. That doesnt remove the **** from your lino...

the only way to clean your hands is by thoroughly washing your hands in soap and water, and that means above the wrist and between the fingers over a couple of minutes. Dry your hands with paper towels before putting gel on."

and if you dont follow this advice, D and V is a cert in some countries.

When I did my DSC1 last year the advice was to carry several pairs of disposible gloves and over sleeve protectors and to change during the gralloch as often as needed. This would be several times due to exterior handling and blood contamination depending on shot placement. A subsequent tip was to vac pac them to ensure the gloves and protectors stayed clean, ensuring that you had followed proper hygiene procedure prior to handling for the purposes of packing. This advice was then repeated during a gralloch demonstration on a butchery course. Both BASC courses.

So a quick thank you to all my tutors and to the DSC1 doubters I respectfully suggest that you do more research into what is being taught today before commenting.

Some quick thoughts on germs and bacteria. I used to sell a disinfectant range of products that had been developed for use in cleaning pipework and machinery in food factories. The products were equally effective when used for environments housing animals. We had a day of training with the inventor. To summarise the day, germs are easily killed - hence the claims of houshold products, bacteria are nastier and harder to kill and encapsulated bacteria (bacteria that have evolved a defensive 'skin') are proper little nasties and avoidance of contamination is the best defense. This is, as is always a case with science, a simplified view to help us mere mortals understand the basics without taking a degree in the subject. The relevence is that E. coli falls into the avoid contamination in the first place category.

My best wishes go to all of those who have suffered.

Ecoli in the gut naturally

So tying off the food pipe and the back end before removing / pulling thru the carcass explains a helluva lot .....or at least it should !

Paul

When in the field I use wipes but I would get something better then detol have a look on a catering supply's web site ,but I always wash things properly with sanitiser when I get back to base also I have a premixed bottle in the car so I can wash my hands when need be.

I use a commercial cleaner/sanitiser, Est-eem, manufactured by EVANS VANODINE INTERNATIONAL PLC - see evansgreentick.com

I get it in 5 litre bottles for about £7 from my local agricultural merchant. 1:25 parts for disinfection and 1:50 parts for general cleaning. Like berg, I take a spray bottle on the hill for disinfection during the gralloch.

At this price there can be no reason for failing to comply with the Food Safety Regulations on the grounds of availability or cost!

I use a commercial cleaner/sanitiser, Est-eem, manufactured by EVANS VANODINE INTERNATIONAL PLC - see evansgreentick.com

I get it in 5 litre bottles for about £7 from my local agricultural merchant. 1:25 parts for disinfection and 1:50 parts for general cleaning. Like berg, I take a spray bottle on the hill for disinfection during the gralloch.

At this price there can be no reason for failing to comply with the Food Safety Regulations on the grounds of availability or cost!

wheres your local supplier pinkfoot if you dont mind?

Back