Thread: Lee Loader problem

Lee Loader problem

Howdy,
    I'm happy reloading with a press but I thought I'd give a Lee Loader a go. I'm finding often some powder doesn't make it into the case and falls out when I remove the completed round from the tool. I give the rig a good tap after adding the powder and before putting in the bullet. Am I doing anything obvious wrong? It's frustrating pulling maybe a 3rd of the rounds to remake them.
    Cheers,
    GH

SD Regular
    No. It's known as "bridging" happens in some powder throwers too. My advice is just poke it down, as it were, with a length of wire rod. Are you using H4831 or similar long grain powder?

Thanks, I'm using H4895 I'll try poke poke tap tap poke tap poke.
    Cheers,
    GH

SD Regular
    Sometimes a funnel helps in that the powder "swirls" down through your Lee Loader into the cartridge case.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Howdy,
    I'm happy reloading with a press but I thought I'd give a Lee Loader a go. I'm finding often some powder doesn't make it into the case and falls out when I remove the completed round from the tool. I give the rig a good tap after adding the powder and before putting in the bullet. Am I doing anything obvious wrong? It's frustrating pulling maybe a 3rd of the rounds to remake them.
    Cheers,
    GH
    Are you talking a lot of powder or the odd kernel or two? It happens with mine sometimes as the case does not seal the die chamber as the powder is poured in and i sometimes get a kernel of powder or two falling out. Hasn't made a difference on target. As was said, you can remove the case from the die and use a funnel. Nothing says you need to keep the die i the case to charge it.~Muir

Hi Muir,
    It was about 10 kernels 1 time and maybe 25 another. I'm using a funnel on top of the die anyway because I find it bit tight to pour into from the scoop so like you say I'll just take the case right out of the die for that stage.
    Best Wishes,
    GH

SD Regular
    I thought I'd revisit this thread. Two things come to mind. First degrease the die just in case it is that causing the grains to stick and also wash it in warm water that has washing up liquid added to remove any static electricity from the die and dry it thoroughly that can either be done with paper towels or just by pouring boiling water through it

Another vote for using a funnel. Easy to see if there is any stuck to the sides and tap on in. However, if the funnel is regualrly cleaned, I have no such problems. Lee do a cheap transparent red one that fits perfectly.