Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac

Muntjac

Hi all ,

I got 120 acres of woodland I can shoot and put a couple of trail cams up and seeing some lovely munties on there but only at night between 0100 -0300 am .

Any ideas on how to find the buggers.

Matt

My albeit fairly limited experience with munties in woodland is that they are active later into the day than other species but being so small are easily hidden by undergrowth so, other than sitting in a high seat, very slow stalking is the best plan. Wait for a while after every few steps as even quite low bracken can hide a feeding deer. I personally doubt that the fact that they are appearing on your trail cam in a narrow time band means that they are moving in and out of your wood. If they're in a wood they tend to stay in the area. If you try a walk around you'll probably hear them barking if you spook them.

Quote Originally Posted by .243 t3 View Post
    Hi all ,

I got 120 acres of woodland I can shoot and put a couple of trail cams up and seeing some lovely munties on there but only at night between 0100 -0300 am .

Any ideas on how to find the buggers.

Matt
    Keep moving the cameras until you get a day light hit, also 120 acres is a big area to cover with 2 units!!

The must be some open areas in the wood to whack a high seat up a tree as most woods will have some sort of logging track.

I shoot more bucks for a couple of reasons as a new one will not be long to take up the route of his fallen brother and they seem to be more active than the doe's.

Spending time is the key, but once you get dialled in then you will pick them off, I have shot quite a few from one particular farm and worked out the key areas to target. My preferred method is quad sticks and back up against a hedge, however if I do spot one a good distance away, then I will move to cut it off....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I've seen Munties out and about in every hour of daylight depending on disturbance and time of year .they are partial to a snack from a pheasant feeder or a heap of sugar beet maize cobs Ect anything to get them to stop for a min or two .
    norma

This is my high seat with a nice view of open area and where I have found them there is a big loop of wood that I've been seeing there tracks on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443973012.480690.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	61823

You might want to try setting up feeding them in a spot you can view from your high seat. From past experience they like corn and also you could spray some aniseed oil as this will attract them.

Ok starsky, I just went and got some malasses and corn and naize

They also like chopped apples so if you have any locally gather as many windfalls as you can and freeze them in batches. I found by virtue of one of my trailcams that roe also love apples coz they hoovered up a load in a couple of nights!!

Last edited by stratts; 05-10-2015 at 09:45.
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I've just put a feeder up with aniseed / corn / maize and moved camera so on it . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444045228.625166.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	61857

Quote Originally Posted by .243 t3 View Post
    I've just put a feeder up with aniseed / corn / maize and moved camera so on it . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444045228.625166.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	61857
    Yesterday I put a wheat filled feeder up too. It will be monitored by a camera.

Muntjac are the main target and we hope to combine a feeder station, including a mineral lick on a pole at a finger ride site within the next few months.

I will be very interested in your results.