Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sako A11 advice

sako A11 advice

Does anybody own a sako A11 need some advice on scope mounts
    Cheers bob

Optilocks or leupold.
    Or if you can find them sako wheelie mounts.

Thanks fella

I've used optilocks on my A11, trouble free.

some lovely Leupold QR bases and rings in the classifieds....

Optilocks had Sako's own mounts but when I went for a bigger scope had to go for the optilocks, watch what size of scope you go for, had two choices with my A11 either high mounts or grind the bolt to clear the scope, if you go for the high mounts you will probably find you need a comb extension this causes another problem in that the bolt tends to foul on the comb extension when working it, grinding the bolt gives the best result regarding operation
    and gives a better cheek weld and eye alignment with no need for a comb extension, however not everyone wants
    to take a grinder to their bolt.

None of these problems are insurmountable but need to be taken in to consideration, when the A11 was produced
    the scope normally mounted would be a 4x32 or similar , even a wide angled 4x40 fouled the bolt with the standard mounts.

I've only ever had one scope on my AII, and that's a S&B 6x42. It's on Optilock one-piece mounts, rather than the separate mount/base combinations which seem more common nowadays. Thye scope sits a little lower than the 'extra-low' rings on separate bases.

If I bought a scope so large that I couldn't work the bolt, I'd be reaching for a smaller 'scope rather than a grinder!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I've only ever had one scope on my AII, and that's a S&B 6x42. It's on Optilock one-piece mounts, rather than the separate mount/base combinations which seem more common nowadays. Thye scope sits a little lower than the 'extra-low' rings on separate bases.

If I bought a scope so large that I couldn't work the bolt, I'd be reaching for a smaller 'scope rather than a grinder!
    Anything bigger than 4x times fouled the scope on standard Sako mounts, had my A11 for over thirty years started
    off with 4x32 went to 4x40 wide angle which worked but the bolt still hit off the scope when cycled 6x42 had to remove a couple of mil from

the bolt and refinish,now has variable on had to go for mid optilocks to allow the the objective to clear the barrel ,even at that it only just clears have to use bikini covers as there is not enough clearance to mount
    butler creeks for example, that's not a big problem but mounts then to high for the comb needed a comb extension
    6mm I think it is but it needs to be short to allow the bolt to come right back as it only just clears the standard comb.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Anything bigger than 4x times fouled the scope on standard Sako mounts, had my A11 for over thirty years started
    off with 4x32 went to 4x40 wide angle which worked but the bolt still hit off the scope when cycled 6x42 had to remove a couple of mil from

the bolt and refinish,now has variable on had to go for mid optilocks to allow the the objective to clear the barrel ,b.
    you are putting the scopes on the right way round are you?!
    normally a bigger objective requires higher mounts which in turn raises the occult bell away from the bolt