Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Worms?

Fox Worms?

The other evening we shot a vixen that looked pregnant. Wanting to know if it this was correct or not, we cut her open. There was no sign of foetuses (foeti?), however, while we were investigating a nasty looking worm appeared in the middle of her guts - it looked like an Ascaris lumbricoides-like thing, about two and a half inches in length with a long tapered head end. I'd be most grateful if anyone here is able to tell me what it was likely to have been!

Thank you - that looks just like it!

From harvest time onwards, I often find fox droppings containing wild plum stones and stomach worms. I have assumed it is nature's way of getting rid of the parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    From harvest time onwards, I often find fox droppings containing wild plum stones and stomach worms. I have assumed it is nature's way of getting rid of the parasites.

Interesting - I wonder if there's a direct correlation?

I think it is a roughage thing. I ran out of food for the dogs one evening and poured some hot milk and Bovril(or was it Marmite) onto some crushed barley and filled them up with that. Next morning, the floor was covered in roundworms. Can't remember if the worms were dead or not. My uncle was a bit of a horse doctor and once told me that horses could be wormed by feeding them Box that had been baked in an oven.
    Last edited by JTO; 05-10-2015 at 21:51.

I think it is a roughage thing. I ran out of food for the dogs one evening and poured some hot milk and Bovril(or was it Marmite) onto some crushed barley and filled them up with that. Next morning, the floor was covered in roundworms. Can't remember if the worms were dead or not. My uncle was a bit of a horse doctor and once told me that horses could be wormed by feeding them Box that had been baked in an oven.
    I can imagine how well it'd go down in this house if my Good Lady came down in the morning and found the floor covered in worms!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I can imagine how well it'd go down in this house if my Good Lady came down in the morning and found the floor covered in worms!

Luckily it was in the back porch.

Quite a coincidence? Found a scat exactly as you describe on my gravel driveway a 3 days ago. Luvverley!

There weren't many Harvest Plums(Miabelles) on my bushes this year, but there were quite a few wild Damsons nearby. Most people dismiss them as being 'big sloes'(I have heard them referred to as 'Christians'). They don't know what they are missing.