Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

My mate's Mrs picked this up at an antique fair but do not know what it is.

Any idea? I thought maybe Whitetail or Mule deer?

Whatever it is I quite like it,

Cheers

Stratts

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

mule deer?

I wish it was a Roo he'd never live it down but alas I think not!!

is it not just a roe doe with funny markings....? hard to guage scale and (no offense) its not the finest taxidermy work...... but thats what I'd say from the pitcure?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    is it not just a roe doe with funny markings....? hard to guage scale and (no offense) its not the finest taxidermy work...... but thats what I'd say from the pitcure?

It is actually Roe size so it's possible mate. I've not seen it in the flesh the pic is what I got sent,

Stratts

Mule deer do have large ears, hence the name. But they're big, about Scottish red deer size. Although having said that it could just young and therefore small...
    But given it's from the UK and roe deer size I'd go with a funny looking roe doe!

I'd say badly set up roe doe (although photo angle can distort the perspective. Seen it enough times on here).

I've seen very simiakr in roe, there were a pair of skewbald roe twins born on an estate I used to stalk over. The estate changed hands before they reached maturity. Would love to know how they faired.

Novice

The white markings under the nose look Roe-ish but I've never seen a Roe with white markings up to the forehead nor one without black banding around the ears. There's also no black banding ("moustache") around the snout, so I can't see it being a Roe unless it's a peculiar one-off (which may be why it was mounted?). Just wondering if it could be a Whitetail or a hybrid Whitetail as I've seen photos of all white varieties (Seneca whitetail) and it may be a cross between the two?