Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Background checks on all household members

Established Poster

Background checks on all household members

Hi

Whilst at a local game fair over the weekend I had a good chat with one of our local feo's on their stand. One of the things they mentioned was that when my renewal was due they would do a full background check on all householders at the address where the firearms were to be stored. My wife struggled with post natal depression which has been well documented with the GP. Would this affect my renewal?

Ash
    Last edited by Atross; 05-10-2015 at 12:48.

following with interest .......
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

surely you as an fac holder cant be held responsible for any other people, even under the same roof,!!
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    surely you as an fac holder cant be held responsible for any other people, even under the same roof,!!
    Known criminal associations are grounds for losing a FAC.

What's new they have been checking the background of those that live at your address for ages,maybe not so much medical conditions but certainly those that have been convicted of an offence.

Established Poster
    Apparently these would be more thorough than previous checks, also asked if i reloaded as they would be checking if I was storing powders inline with their recommendations. Basically treating them the same as black powder
    Last edited by Atross; 05-10-2015 at 14:22.

My oldest has just had a visit from the FLO, he has applied for a shotgun cert. I wasn't in when they came but they ask the rest of the family questions. Visited the school and spoke to his head teacher and year head. I got a phone call last night about his application. They are checking everyone and everything, nothing new but more in depth checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atross View Post
    Aalso asked if i reloaded as they would be checking if I was storing powders inline with their recommendations. Basically treating them the same as black powder
    Interesting, I'm not aware that shooter's powders and BP when stored separately and below the trigger limits are treated in anyway the same - including the requirement for licensing - and AFAIK nothing has changed in that respect. Did they give any indication of how and why?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/licensing/storage/

When I applied for my SGC the FEO asked who I lived with and whether anyone else had access to the house (cleaners etc).

I said "no, just me and my other half" and thats it! But I gather they do carry out checks on the people you live with as they could potentially gain access to your guns, and could gain that access far more easily than someone who doesnt live with you.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Interesting, I'm not aware that shooter's powders and BP when stored separately and below the trigger limits are treated in anyway the same - including the requirement for licensing - and AFAIK nothing has changed in that respect. Did they give any indication of how and why?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/licensing/storage/
    Basically that it wasn't very common knowledge as the changes had only been made last year. He described the requirements for storage and that they would be looking to see that I was storing them in line with this guidance.