Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenfeshie Massacre

Glenfeshie Massacre

Hi guys/girls.

just wondering if anyone can tell me some info on the Glenfeshie Massacre.
    i have heard a few different stories about it.

Cheers
    Alan

yeah
    i have looked at all the papers. but they dont tell you nothing

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan413 View Post
    they dont tell you nothing
    Then they must be quite informative, lol

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Then they must be quite informative, lol
    Unless they don't tell you anything ;-)

The date on the article is 2004, so things have moved on a bit since then. There has been a reduction in deer numbers, which is still ongoing (!), but it is generally accepted that, when the cull started, deer numbers were too high. The same thing happened at Mar Lodge, next door to Glen Feshie, and at Caenlochan, which is about 20 miles away as the crow flies. SNH(the sponsors) have gone down the natural regeneration route, rather than fences, which have been trialled elsewhere. What is generally not realised is that the regeneration of the Caledonian pine forest is a LONG TERM objective, with a project life of 200 years. So expecting to see results immediately ......might just be a tad premature

Quote Originally Posted by lochty View Post
    The date on the article is 2004, so things have moved on a bit since then. There has been a reduction in deer numbers, which is still ongoing (!), but it is generally accepted that, when the cull started, deer numbers were too high. The same thing happened at Mar Lodge, next door to Glen Feshie, and at Caenlochan, which is about 20 miles away as the crow flies. SNH(the sponsors) have gone down the natural regeneration route, rather than fences, which have been trialled elsewhere. What is generally not realised is that the regeneration of the Caledonian pine forest is a LONG TERM objective, with a project life of 200 years. So expecting to see results immediately ......might just be a tad premature
    Natural regeneration is immediate when the deer pressure ceases. You can see it on google earth if you look at one side of a fence compared to the other. Fences do nothing but displace the problem to another area. There is no alternative to sustainable, natural densities of deer.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hardly a massacre , we are talking about deer / vermin control, I thought it was about people.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Hardly a massacre , we are talking about deer / vermin control, I thought it was about people.
    SNH is supposed to be about Natural Heritage - the problem for many of us is that SNH's view of that natural heritage does not appear to involve deer. Each of the above mentioned "adjustments" to deer numbers involved shooting deer in large numbers over a very short period causing great turbulence to deer populations and by inference suffering to deer by poor shooting. Whether this is true or not only those directly involved can say - and obviously they will not.

I think the general view on here (????) would be that deer numbers should be adjusted by careful selective culling over reasonable periods of time and I suspect the outcry over Glenfeshie will ensure that the likes of that will not re-occur (though it should be noted that even bigger short term culls took place over short periods prior to Glenfeshie).

I would say that the on-going issue is that SNH appears to see a Scotland with naturally regenerated trees - but no (or essentially no) deer. Personally I think that deer have a big place in the landscape of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    SNH is supposed to be about Natural Heritage - the problem for many of us is that SNH's view of that natural heritage does not appear to involve deer. Each of the above mentioned "adjustments" to deer numbers involved shooting deer in large numbers over a very short period causing great turbulence to deer populations and by inference suffering to deer by poor shooting. Whether this is true or not only those directly involved can say - and obviously they will not.

I think the general view on here (????) would be that deer numbers should be adjusted by careful selective culling over reasonable periods of time and I suspect the outcry over Glenfeshie will ensure that the likes of that will not re-occur (though it should be noted that even bigger short term culls took place over short periods prior to Glenfeshie).

I would say that the on-going issue is that SNH appears to see a Scotland with naturally regenerated trees - but no (or essentially no) deer. Personally I think that deer have a big place in the landscape of Scotland.
    +1.