Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting a fallow rutt stand

hunting a fallow rutt stand

Any advice on how best to hunt a fallow rut stand? Iv found a few and some are in tight cover where you could only back off 20 meters if you were to sit and wait(chances are you would be decked) and are hard to stalk in on.Any advice ?

Why with respect would you want to do that? They stink re the venison and it is hardly sporting! Trophies I suppose

My advice - be careful! I know of one stalker that got well trampled by an inbound doe who obviously fancied her chances with the big boy. I've also had does go past me in the dark like charging rhinos. With procreation in the offing they really wont be taking any notice of you mooching about the edge of a rutting stand.

Shooting fallow bucks on the rutting stands will just knacker your shooting they will go elsewhere.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Shooting fallow bucks on the rutting stands will just knacker your shooting they will go elsewhere.
    ^This!

Best way to take advantage of a stand is to place yourself somewhere unobtrusive a little way away on one of the routes in and pick up prickets or sorrels following does on the way in. Done carefully it doesn't disturb the stand, gives you cull animals and is in my opinion reasonably sporting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
    ^This!

Best way to take advantage of a stand is to place yourself somewhere unobtrusive a little way away on one of the routes in and pick up prickets or sorrels following does on the way in. Done carefully it doesn't disturb the stand, gives you cull animals and is in my opinion reasonably sporting.

Good sound advice 100 % correct IMHO.
    And it's worked for over the last 40 years

^This!

Correct shoot them coming and going from the area they are rutting but don't disturb the rutting stands.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Cheers, my intention is not the holding stag as I would prefer to leave him do his thing.I was intending to pick off a satellite stag mooching about /coming in to fight ect.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenmongoose View Post
    Cheers, my intention is not the holding stag as I would prefer to leave him do his thing.I was intending to pick off a satellite stag mooching about /coming in to fight ect.

You'd be meaning bucks.......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Of course that could be exactly what the Landowner has engaged the OP to achieve.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.