Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red stag

Red stag

I have not had the chance to do a quick write up and post a couple of photos on hear for a few days, I would like to thank Big Eka off here for inviting me out for a red stag.
    We had been watching these deer for a week and we had seen five different stags with a good number of hinds and calves with them, but they were over the boundry every evening we watched them.
    We decided to try a morning stalk on friday and we met around 5.45am and made our way to the ground, we got kitted up and made our way in to the first field, Eka was looking into the field we were in and I glassed over the hedge into the next field.
    It was just starting to break light and I thought I could just make out the shape of a deer, I said to Eka I thought they were out on his ground, I looked again and this time I could see more shapes in the field.
    Eka told me he would stay put behind the hedge and that I needed to try and get in closer, I got over the fence in a gap in the hedge then stalked down the hedge row and then turned along the hedge at the bottom of the field and slowly made my way along the edge of the field using the darkness of the hedge for cover.
    As I got closer I spotted a hind lay down on lookout and I could also see one of the stags we had seen during the past week, we had seen two bigger stags than this beast.
    I got my sticks out and the one hind what was lay down stood up and this alerted the other hinds and with the stag stood up, he then walked into the herd of around a dozen hinds, and I thought just one bark from a hind and that's it so I froze on the spot.
    After a few seconds they settled and started grazing again and they they parted and the stag was on his own, now was my chance, so I took a chest shot and he walked around 20yrds and down he went.
    I was over the moon to be given the chance to take my first red deer from my home county so thanks again Eka.
    I did the gralloch and to top it off we got the trailer staight up to the beast and got him loaded up.
    We then had a cracking full English on the way to the larder to finish off sorting my stag.
    He weighed 240-250lb larder weight and I had taken the top of his heart out.
    What a way to spend a day off from work and to top it off the weather was stunning.
    Whilst I was gralloching the stag two more were roaring away from in the woodland.
    We have been up this evening just to watch the deer again and we have seen several including another stag which was one we had not seen before.
    Cheers Eka
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151002_070412.jpg   20151002_070224.jpg  

Andy it was a pleasure to take you out for your first Staffordshire red stag .the new bit of ground I've acquired certainly seems to be holding a lot of deer at the moment especially the big stags which we have watched over the last week ,it really was agreat day weather, company and to top it off the cracking breakfast ,

Well done to you both, nice read. I didn't know that there were any significant numbers of red deer in Staffordshire.
    Kieran

Thanks Kieran
    There are reds in both North and South Staffordshire, if they get left alone at night they do quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by tika.308 View Post
    Thanks Kieran
    There are reds in both North and South Staffordshire, if they get left alone at night they do quite well.
    Nice write up, and a good looking beast, well done.

One thing which on this forum of late is distinct lack of support for the efforts of people who take the time and effort to write and up load pictures.
    These write up's all so echo the other side of the story which is the generosity from the people who invite and organize the shooting on there ground.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Nice write up. Well done to you both and thanks for sharing the experience. I had no idea there were reds in Staffs

[QUOTE=Tim.243;1026411]Nice write up, and a good looking beast, well done.

One thing which on this forum of late is distinct lack of support for the efforts of people who take the time and effort to write and up load pictures.
    These write up's all so echo the other side of the story which is the generosity from the people who invite and organize the shooting on there ground.
    Thanks guys, yes I have noticed you get lots of views if you do a write up but very few comment. All the best to you all for the winter stalking. Regards Andy

Nice one tika.308 and well done to big eka for sorting things out for you, one thing i have found off here is the help that others are prepared to give to others, be they old hands or newbies and this post shows yet again good help/friendship, cracking beast and good write up too.
    Chris

Cheers Chris
    When I first joined this site I had never shot a deer, it really is great how some people on here go out of their way to help others out.

Regards Andy

well done tika good write up, bet your chuffed to bits, I know I would be