Selling a moderator on ticket to a different caliber ?

shaun22/250

I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with. I have a T8 moderator on my ticket its up to .30 cal but it came with a 22-250 so its on my ticket as 22-250 unknown (as no serial number) moderator. Lets say I put it up for sale and someone with a .270 wants it. So the moderator is up to .30 cal so is suitable for the .270. Firstly can I sell it him and secondly how would I enter it on his ticket? as its on mine as 22-250 am I aloud to put it on his slot for a .270 moderator? Cheers Shaun

If he has a 270 mod. slot he can buy it..same as buying a mod. up to 6.5 for a 223 or similar..... however you cannot do it the same way with non FAC rated .22/17 hmr mods as they are not rimfire proofed....on point 1 your disposal note to Police should state your .22-250 usage.Hope that helps.:)

If he has a 270 mod. slot he can buy it..same as buying a mod. up to 6.5 for a 223 or similar..... however you cannot do it the same way with non FAC rated .22/17 hmr mods as they are not rimfire proofed....on point 1 your disposal note to Police should state your .22-250 usage.Hope that helps.:)
so I put on my fom i sold 22-250 mod and enter it on his as .270 mod

I bought a 30 cal mod and entered it on ticket as 243, no problem. However, the calibre isn't stamped on it anywhere so on my renewal form I simply described it as "fullbore sound moderator for use on the above-mentioned 243 rifle".

no mods have calibre limits other than those bigger than the hole!!

insist that it is not listed as calibre specific so it can be used on more than one rifle and gives you freedom to sell it to who you please!

If his authorisation is for a mod for his 270, i say this rather then a 270 mod because mods cannot be calibre specific, that would mean them having the same bore diametre as the rifle, enter it onto his FAC as a Centrefire Moderator.

Ian.

spot on

no mods have calibre limits other than those bigger than the hole!!

insist that it is not listed as calibre specific so it can be used on more than one rifle and gives you freedom to sell it to who you please!
SPOT ON !!! FAC JUST needs say ''UNDER CALIBRE'' R/F (rimfire) SOUND MODERATOR AND OR C/F (Centrefire ) Sound moderator '' End of easy'' ;)

SPOT ON !!! FAC JUST needs say ''UNDER CALIBRE'' R/F (rimfire) SOUND MODERATOR AND OR C/F (Centrefire ) Sound moderator '' End of easy'' ;)

The OP is in exactly the same position as myself. I have a .30 cal Northstar on my ticket filling a .243 mod slot. I want to sell this like the OP. Are you suggesting we can sell our mods to people with slots for say .270 or 30 cal ? Our mods are already listed calibre specific. Are you saying we can just write in CF moderator ?

If I was doing so I would want written confirmation from my licensing department that it was in order. As an FAC holder it is our responsibility to ensure that the person to whom we are selling has the appropriate authority to acquire what we are selling.

How can authority to acquire a .270 be considered authority to acquire a 22.250.

If I was doing so I would want written confirmation from my licensing department that it was in order. As an FAC holder it is our responsibility to ensure that the person to whom we are selling has the appropriate authority to acquire what we are selling.

How can authority to acquire a .270 be considered authority to acquire a 22.250.

Because there is no such thing as a .270 or 22.250 Moderator.
There are Moderators suitable for use on the above calibres, aka .30 or above but that is all. You can acquire and choose to use a smaller moderator but it isn't wise. You can acquire and use a .50 but it won't be as quiet.

One moderator can be used on multiple rifles if you have your conditions in order. You just have to write it out for your FEO to have them put the same words on your FAC.

I think a lot of people get too specific on what they ask for, after all a slot for a moderator can allow you to get a rifle after a 141.

Stan

Alot of the trade do us no favours here, many proving moderators and having them stamped with the calibre and also entering them on our FACs with a calibre designation even though the authorisation is for C/F or R/F moderator.
When you renew or send in your FAC for a variation or condition change, what has been written in by RFDs then gets printed in the firearms possessed section with that same calibre designation.

Ian.

Last edited:
And there is the problem, together with many firearms departments printing the caliber on FAC's and also demanding that a specific caliber be applied for.

Once a mod is recorded on a FAC as a specific caliber I don't see how one can transfer it onto anothers FAC where authority exists for a different caliber has been granted. The paper trail just would not add up.

And there is the problem, together with many firearms departments printing the caliber on FAC's and also demanding that a specific caliber be applied for.

Once a mod is recorded on a FAC as a specific caliber I don't see how one can transfer it onto anothers FAC where authority exists for a different caliber has been granted. The paper trail just would not add up.

Precisely...well put.

Same way I can have a hornet shipped to an RFD, have it rechambered and passed to me as the .222 I have authority for

the designation in this case is not physical, its administrative

Depending on your FLD it should be an easy fix....
I bought a moderator with a .243 rifle some time ago, the mod went on my ticket as a .243 mod even though it was in fact a .30 mod.

some time later I wanted to use the mod on a .308 so a quick call to the FLD and sent my FAC in. The moderator was changed on my Fac to a .30 mod, and confirmed in writing that it could be used on any of my rifles.

All my mods are recorded as centrefire or rimfire mods on my FAC and my conditions are worded:
The 257 calibre rifle, ammunution and moderator shall be used for.........
Not so my mate over the border in warwickshire (now adminsitered my west mercia) his mods are recorded with a calibre designation in his firearms possessed section, even though when purchased they were recorded as C/F and R/F moderators.
On variation west mercia in their wisdom decided to assign his mods a calibre and ammend his conditions accordingly to read; the 223 rifle, ammunition and 223 sound moderator shall be used for...........
This is the same for his other centrefire rifles and also his rimfires, madness!!

Ian.

All my mods are listed on my FAC as "Full Bore Moderator" no calibre and no make/manufacture.
I use them on my rifles I see fit.
I swap them about if I need to.
There is no condition saying which rifle they have to used on.

Ian, you beat me to it. I have three full bore rifles on my ticket. I have authorisation to have three moderators. If I were to assign as specific one to a certain rifle what would happen if I switched them and got checked at a stalk with a different mod? You sell your .243 and get a 30.36 same thread, do you then have to get the authority reassigned? Don't put more info than required or you could drop yourself in it for no reason.

Ian, you beat me to it. I have three full bore rifles on my ticket. I have authorisation to have three moderators. If I were to assign as specific one to a certain rifle what would happen if I switched them and got checked at a stalk with a different mod? You sell your .243 and get a 30.36 same thread, do you then have to get the authority reassigned? Don't put more info than required or you could drop yourself in it for no reason.

Even if your mods are listed as caliber specific it does not mean you have to use them on any specific firearm it is only so they are individually identifiable. You can use whatever mod you like on whatever caliber. That is is why I am in the position I am in as I bought one mod that can be used on both my .243 and my 30-o6. The problem is now that I want to sell it I need to find someone else who wants to do the same thing as it is a 30 cal mod taking up the .243 mod slot on my ticket.

Back