Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Accuracy

Acceptable Accuracy

On the range yesterday with the .22 just having a plink really, Using eley subs does anyone think that a two inch group at 100m is acceptable,The zero for this setup is 60m and even then the grouping isn,t spectacular, probably just an inch with the odd flyer,am I expecting a little to much , I was shooting prone off my rucksack . Just to add that I don,t have a problem with moa accuracy from the centerfires Atb Brough.

Brough, it wouldn't be much use for bunny bashing at 2" @ 100yds, I would suggest that you look for a better performing brand of round for your rifle, I had a bolt action CZ .22LR that would put round over round @ 100 yds with Eley hollow point subs, it would not shoot ANYTHING else. the Ruger 10 / 22 ratter I have now will shoot the same stuff on the lamp @ 70yds.Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Brough View Post
    On the range yesterday with the .22 just having a plink really, Using eley subs does anyone think that a two inch group at 100m is acceptable,The zero for this setup is 60m and even then the grouping isn,t spectacular, probably just an inch with the odd flyer,am I expecting a little to much , I was shooting prone off my rucksack . Just to add that I don,t have a problem with moa accuracy from the centerfires Atb Brough.
    Was there a breeze? Any breeze affects accuracy at 100M with a .22LR. You don't say what rifle you're using but if all else is in line, as Finn said, a switch in ammo could be beneficial. Additionally, pick up some fresh ammo with a different LOT number on the box. Even Eley screws up once in a while.~Muir

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    100m with a subsonic is pushing beyond the boundries, they are at an optimum at around 70yards. Try a group at 50 yards, if they hold tight at that range then get closer to your bunnies and slot them in the head!
    Try a few different brands of ammo through your rifle and see which gives the tightes group at 50 yards, then practice at longer ranges and familiarize yourself with the bullets drop at those distances. If you want to shoot bunnies regularly at 100yds then i suggest you switch to high velocity rounds or go get a .17hmr.

I don't think Brough said he was shooting rabbits but MOA at 100 with a .22 can be had. This was from my Brno#2 a few weeks back. It is a 40 grain bullet at 1035 fps.~Muir

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    good group at a 100 that! must be tight at 50 then.
    What brand of ammo?

I've always thought 1" at 100 is acceptable for a .22lr. 2" is a bit much IMO. That's assuming good conditions. The wind can bully them a bit at that range.

At 50 yards my .22 will easily group under a 5p coin. I've not tried 100 with the latest rifle but my 10/22 I had when I started out would do an inch at that range so I'd expect my CZ bolt to be at least as good, probably better.

Try other ammo. Just because 99% of rifles shoot Eley well doesn't mean yours will. Winchesters are another good brand and that's what I use. My 10/22 used to work best with CCI (which is funny because most shooters think they're rubbish!).

Thanks guys , The wind can swirl around the range a bit ,however I didn't think it was to bad . The rifle is a cz American short barrel.
    I will do as suggested and try some winnies .I got the cz on the back of trying a couple and they were capable of the grouping as shown by Muir. I WILL PERSIST ,and will let you know my findings. Atb Brough

I've got a CZ american and it's good for about 1"-1.5" at 100m but as already said it's a long way for a subsonic. as far as shooting Rabbits goes, i take a couple of small bean tins down the field and starting from about 40m shoot a full mag or 2 at them and then move back a bit just keep doing this untill I can no longer hit the tins consistently. doing this i find i can hit Rabbits reliably at night to about 75 ish metres after that i start to hit more in the shoulder than the head and miss a fair few compleately.
    I have a HMR but i haven't shot it for 6 months or more as i find i don't need to shoot any further than 75m.
    2" at 100m wouldn't bother me enough to think about going through all the hassle of changing my rifle.

Ezzy

My BRNO will not shoot Eleys with any consistency, it loves Winchester subs though.